Krauser bags on a GS750B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krauser bags on a GS750B

I bought a '77 GS750 parts bike 6 or 7 years ago. It came with a set of Krauser hard bags that, I assumed fit that bike. Now all these years later, after selling my '750B and that parts bike, and now buying my old '750B back, I want to mount those bags on the bike.

Is there anyone out there in GS land with Krauser bags on a '750B? I would like to ask you a few questions:
    -do I have to remove the left side grab bar (the one you hold to get bike on centre stand)?
    -did you get the package tray to clear the tail piece?
    -what did you do with your turn signals?

thanks
    Brian

I have not mounted Krauser bags, nor have I mounted anything on a 750, but here are a couple observations based on some other installs I have done.

1. The lift handle has been removed from the Vetter install on a 1000G. It was also removed when I installed Suzuki GK luggage on my 850G.

2. By "package tray", I am assuming that is what we call a "luggage rack". No problem with the Vetter, no problem with the GK.

3. The Vetter hardware has provisions to relocate the signals. They attach to the rear of the saddlebag frame and end up in a recess that is molded in to the rear of the saddlebag. The GK bags have signals built into them, so removal of the stock signals is mandatory and no problem.

Can you post a picture of the saddlebag frame? There might be a signal mount location that is not obvious to you.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here is are some pics of the bags and frame together, just the frame and mounted on my GL1100. They are a quality bag and period correct for the old GS. The frame is all cast aluminum, solid but very light. Also, if the frame is painted flat black it is not that noticeable without the bags.

Brian

Comment

Very nice-looking setup there.

Looking at the pictures, your turn signal question is answered quite nicely. Not sure if your GS signals would fit in the bag recesses, but you might have to adapt. The round ones won't look all that much out of place.

Have you held the frame up to your 750? If that rack came off the GL1100, you might have to get creative with some hardware to adapt the mounts. Every brand of motorcycle has a different frame configuration, even extending to different models, sometimes even the year makes a difference. For example: the Vetter mounts for my son's '80 1000G will work on the '80 and '81 1000G and 850G, but will not work on the '82 or '83 models of the same bikes because there is a lower brace that is meant to clamp to the frame loop that holds the rear footpeg and muffler. The '82 and '83 bikes don't have that loop, they have an aluminum piece that bolts on to the frame near the swingarm pivot. I encountered that detail when trying to mount the GK bags on my 850. The lower brace is meant to bolt to an elongated version of the footpeg mount, which I don't have. I will have to get a bracket welded to the frame to be able to anchor that brace.

I know you said the bags came with your '77, but you also gave the impression that they were not mounted, so hold the frame up to your current bike to see how close it is.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X