Painting my GS1100E (too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting my GS1100E (too)

Been planning this paint job since last year. Finally found the color I wanted. Trevor's blacked out wheels motivated me to do the same which I have started though not shown in this picture. Painted the carbs today too. There's more work to do on the finish but here's the progress before I painted the wheels and carbs. The IPhone camera just can't capture this stunning color. It's three stage Ruby Red used on a number of late model Fords with a pinch of crystal pearl added (I'm not sure what it's really called but it looks like a dusting of tiny diamonds in the clear coat).

sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

The bike looks awesome. Great colour too! Yep I really like the way my bike looks with the blacked out rims too. Looks a little meaner.
    No signature

Comment

Painted carbs. This single stage catalyzed black flows out so nicely. I wish I could get my clear to do that.

sigpic

Comment

Wow! Looking great, subscribed!!

Comment

Thanks to Posplayr for the tip on clear-coating with the detail gun from Harbor Freight. $13!!! Best $13 I've spent in memory.

Here is my tank after re-clearing. I'd say 90% less orange peel. I should get even better with practice.

I also re-cleared my neighbor's Harley tank:

Last edited by glib; 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
          sigpic

Comment

Progress photo. Painted carbs installed rear wheel painted and installed. Re-cleared tank in place. Still have to re-clear the other painted parts. Tailpiece is ready to shoot.

sigpic

Comment

Looking good! What black is that you shot on the carbs? It looks really nice.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                Looking good! What black is that you shot on the carbs? It looks really nice.
                It is a single stage catalyzed black that they mix for me at the Auto Industrial Paint (AIP) store. I couldn't get the whole label in one photo because of the curve of the can but maybe if you take this info to your paint store they can figure out how to mix it.

The mix for the gun is 4 parts base, 2 parts reducer and 1 part catalyst. I shoot them with self-etching primer first.

sigpic

Comment

Here's everything together with the tail piece freshly cleared. Just need to paint the front wheel. Thinking about airbrushing the logos with some candy colors over silver pearl if I can get the stencils. Lots of clean up to do.

sigpic

Comment

wow this look great.
                    Great skills, I have learned a lot and am preparing to have a go myself..... lol
                    Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

I saw your bike picture on Trevor's thread. It looks like someone spent a lot of time on that paint job. Unless you are a naturally gifted painter you may have to paint it over more than once before you get the results you desire. I think I painted the tailpiece on this bike four times (twice last year trying to find a color I liked). I little goof with pearl and it's a do over. Anyway, I would paint something that is fugly to start with so you can't help but make it better. But it's your bike and you can do whatever you want--including flat black rattle can...we've seen that before too. I'm happy to add whatever I can to help. Do you have a color in mind?
                      sigpic

Comment

Glib,

Not sure where the colour scheme came from but I like it. Plan is to try and fix the road rashand where I rebuilt the side cover tabs... which I might add are great.

I might be better to get it done by a pro but that spoils all the fun and cost tooo much.

Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                        The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

Ooh, didn't see that side. Makes much more sense now!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X