National Cycle Street EX Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Cycle Street EX Windshield

Just received a Street Shield EX, Bike Bandit, for my '77 GS750. Thought I would do a thorough review of it because it looks like an ideal WS for middle-weight GS's. Haven't had it out for a ride yet but mounted it last night. Mounting hardware is the same or similar to the Plexifairing. What attracted me this WS is that it is a 4 point mount so is nice and solid with no flex.

Here are some pics.

Brian

Upper mounts

Lower mounts

Front view

Rider's view

Looks Good. Looking forward to your ride review. And maybe too some pics from the road. When I lived in Alberta, spent quite a bit of time in Calgary.

Comment

Just a couple other things to include for your ride review.
      Are those the stock handlebars and how tall are you?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Had one of these on my GS, worked really well. Great windshield for highway riding.

Comment

Something you guys might find interesting: Here is a shot of a Plexifairing 3, on my GL1100 and the Street Shield EX, on my GS. From the looks of it, I think the Street Shield has a frontal area about 1/2 of the Plexifairing.

I used to have a Plexifairing 3 on this GS. It gives excellent wind protection and I would have bought another one but seemed like I lost a noticeable amount of performance, at highway speed, compared to naked. So I'm thinking that this Street Shield should give me decent protection with no loss in performance.

Brian

Comment

Well we had a nice day here in Calgary yesterday so I went for about a 80km cruise after work. Mostly highway at 100 - 110 km/hr. I am 6' 1" and the bars I am using are lower (4" rise) and less pull back than OE. So I sit with a slight lean forward which puts my face about 1' from the top of the WS. The top of the WS is about even with my chin.

Anyway, the Street Shield performed exactly as I wanted: no wind on chest, full wind in face but smooth, very little buffeting. Wearing ear plugs and, with one of those stretchy things closing in the bottom of my helmet, the noise level is not a problem.

I like the fact that it is small and low enough that I hardly know it's there. I love riding with no WS but find it too uncomfortable at highway speed so this is a great solution to that. Plus I can take it off or put it on in a few minutes.

No loss of performance vs naked that I can tell. It is no bigger than my body so i wouldn't expect any loss.

Sorry, Grand Rouge, I didn't make any stops so no pics.

Brian

Comment

Thanks for the review. And with Summer still ahead..........probably opportunities for some great pics etc.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

That is the shield that is on my son's 650L.

Here is one view, you can click on the link in my sig for another.

Ride report? I am 6' 5", the bars are much lower than stock (Daytona? Superbike?). I have been on the bike for about an hour at a time, and had no problems with wind or (lack of) comfort.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X