Fairing or windshield recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing or windshield recommendations?

So, I finally have the GS highway worthy. I have put about 300 miles this week going to and from work. I have quickly decided I need to help make this bike a wee bit more 70m.p.h friendly. Any recommendations to either a windshield or sports style fairing? I was looking at maybe a Viper track fairing or a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 or maybe a Plexifairing 2. This bike sees around 500 to 800 miles a week of interstate driving and with no windscreen it is kicking my butt.

OK, please give us a clue.

"The GS is highway worthy..."

There are a couple of GSes in your signature with no clue whether they are "Past" or "current".

There was a thread recently about this same topic, shouldn't be too hard to find.

You looking for just a little bit of wind deflection or a full-on frame-mounted fairing?
    Some of us have some experience with both, but need a clue to how much protection you are looking for and maybe even how much you are willing to spend.
    To see some of the "wind-deflecting devices" in my stable, click on the links in my sig to see the pictures.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not sure as to why you don't see the past and current bikes in my signature as they are listed. But I am talking about the 83 GS1100GL.

As for being highway worthy I have put about 1k miles on it in the last month and it has been reliable with no breakdowns since being brought back from the dead.

I read a couple of threads on the subject.

I know I do not want some monstrosity like a WindJammer fairing. I like the look of the "cafe style" fairings. But, I am going for functionality rather than style. What I would really like is something to reduce the wind pressure off my upper body. Specifically the "updraft"(can't think of a better word) that goes right up my helmet which is full-faced.

I would rather invest in one windshield or fairing rather than multiple in a trial and error. I don't mind spending the money for a good quality wind screen.

I tried to do a quote reply and it just would not work.

Thanks

Comment

I run something like this on all my bikes except one. Seems to work quite well for me.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I run the National Cycle Deflector on my 82 1100GL and I like it. Works well, but you might want to go a little bigger.
          1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
          2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

I have both the turbo (S-05) and the original (S-03) Slipstreamers. I like the original a little bit better.

S-03 Original:

S-05 Turbo:

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have the national cycle deflector dx on my gs1000. It was a bear at first lots of buffeting and made the ride miserable. Now I finally have it adjusted where I get wind in the face and the wind is off the chest. I wear a riding jacket almost at all times and I found with a huge windshield, plexifairing ii and iii that I was getting hot while riding because it offered too much protection and my vents wouldn't inflate on the jacket. There are a few others that are taller than mine might explore those options just look at measurements and let us know what you end up doing

Comment

Working...
              X