Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI - 1983 GS1100 ESD - Space Metallic Blue

Greetings GSers

I have a 1983 GS1100 ESD and started repainting it because I bought the bike missing the throttle side cover.

The white I found is a little off so I don't need to give that info ... check out my album [1983 GS1100 ESD] for some pics ...
    (still need to finish the the tank white and the other side cover - they match the white poorly by scanner and now I am stuck with it!)

I found the blue though in a PPG chip book! [Suzuki has the blue listed as Space Metallic Blue but this color and paint code don't exist anymore]
    It seems like an excellent match! {One paint shop couldn't get an accurate read on the blue to match}
    Grandeur Blue (OVER) 15985
    Light Blue base 17645

Hope this is helpful
    Attached Files

BTW there are some blue side covers for sale on ebay right now

Comment

I have not seen any side covers - I bought it new from Suzuki but it was black plastic ... DOH!
      That is why I have been seeking proper colors. They are about $100 shipped [canada anyway!]

Comment

Sandy just did some paint work. He found that GM Bahama Blue Metallic was a really close match.
        See below...

Check post #81
        Last edited by dorkburger; 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM. Reason: add
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Sandy just did some paint work. He found that GM Bahama Blue Metallic was a really close match.
          See below...

Check post #81
          Thanks Glen for posting that. Here is a different photo with the completed bike and better lighting. I've also got an almost perfect match for the pearl white. It was a GM white base coat and Hyundia pearl white top coat, I can get the exact codes if you want, the cans are in the shop right now. What's been painted on this side is the white/black/blue on the upper fairing, the front fender and the white on the lower fairing from the blue stripe down. All other paint is factory.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Exact codes and paint manufacturer would be great!

thanks,
            Daryl
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Best I can do is the codes in the photo. It came out really good but it was a rattle can paint job. The blue is a GM color and applied straight over grey sandable primer, 3 - 4 coats, can't remember exactly. The white base coat is a GM color and applied straight over the gray primer. I tried a generic bright white but it was too white and Ford Wimbleton White was too yellow. A bit of fiddling as you can see to get it right. The pearl top coat is a Hyundai color and does need the base coat to be correct and three fairly heavy coats to get the shade correct. Hopefully you can cross reference the Duplicolor numbers back to what you are going to have mixed. You should have good luck with the blue being a standard GM color but good luck fiddling with the pearl.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by ptedward View Post
                The white I found is a little off so I don't need to give that info ... check out my album [1983 GS1100 ESD] for some pics ...
                (still need to finish the the tank white and the other side cover - they match the white poorly by scanner and now I am stuck with it!)
                Here is the code for the white:

Formula here:

Code for the white pearl

The white is a basecoat. The pearl has to be mixed in an intercoat clear and sprayed over the basecoat. Then the clear coat of course.

This nailed the original color perfectly.
                sigpic
                1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Thanks so much for this!!!
                  I may redo the white now - *face-palm*

Comment

Dandy! This winters project has evolved, new paint on the ESD. This will be my first 3 color base-clear paint job.
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                    X