Peelable Paint on PURPOSE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peelable Paint on PURPOSE?

A friend of mine has mentioned that there is a new product out. Apparently there is a spray paint out there that is specifically designed to be peeled off. This seems like a great product for those that want to maintain the stock colors as well as try out some new stuff. Anyone have any experience with this? Does it work the same way in real life as it does in my head?

Plasticoat, most of the colors are matte finish, and DO NOT SAND the finish your painting or it won't peel off. You have to spray at least 3 coats, if its too thin, also, it won't peel off. Works great on car rims and trim, door handles. But I've never used it, couple friends have a shop that does everything with it! I'll stick with urethane based automotive paint.

Comment

I'm actually perfectly fine with matte finish. If I can find it in OD green, I'll camo the crap out of my bike. If I don't like it, I'll just peel it off! Brilliant.

Comment

It's not new, but the thing you're looking for is called Plasti Dip. It's like rubber when it cures and supposedly peels right off when you're done with it. A lot of luxury sports car younguns use it.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I did my bike last year with the PlastiDip, it's OK and will hold up well enough as long as your not rubbing on it, otherwise you rub it right off, 3 coats are a minimum, make them light coats that is the trick, as your building up the product, yes it peels off but there is some effort to get it off, will come off in bigger sections of it was applied correctly, you can use some gas to eat away at spots you can't get to, and that is another thing, gas will eat at it, so be careful when filling up if your doing your tank. You can make it glossy as well, there is a glossifier for the product, you can see the result here, I did not use glossifier, this is just the matte finish

and

and

Have fun, and yes you can wash the bike, just don't rub hard, I used a very soft brush and it gets most of the dirt and dust off and it don't damage the finish too much....

this is the bike after about a year, you can see where the thigh hits the tank it has started to peel, but over all it held up well, and yes the red seat cowel was done in plastidip

Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Xytek Plasticoat - The Best Alternative to Painting
            I thought that plastidip was for tool handles

Comment

​GLOSS PlastiDip

Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

​Peeling the PlastiDip

Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I love plasti dip

My whole car is dipped, as well as many parts on my gs750t. I used it mainly on things that i didn't want to paint permanently on the bike, mostly anything that was chrome. It is also great for redoing the body on the gauges, makes the black plastic areas look like new.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Aha; I wondered what you were all on about - it's known as vinyl wrap over here.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      Aha; I wondered what you were all on about - it's known as vinyl wrap over here.
                      Plasti Dip paint and vinyl are two different things. Both can be good temporary ways to change the color of your application. I prefer vinyl but will say that it is a bit harder to cover compound curves successfully. Plasti Dip paint is easier to apply on compound curved surfaces, but may not be as durable when washing the bike. Full disclosure, I can't say for sure as I have not used plasti dip on my street bike. But I have seen plasti dip peel on contact areas (as noted above when legs rub on the tank)

But I have used textured carbon fiber vinyl on a belly pan with very good lasting results despite the dirt, downpours, and occasional washes. Food for thought.

Comment

Well, in that case, apart from Plasti-Dip on plier handles, I've not seen it in automotive use. Interesting indeed.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I had the big GS Plastidipped in olive green when I first took possession of it. Now it is vinyl wrapped in a more sophisticated scheme.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

My next question would be, if I get a decent base (3-5 coats seems standard) can I use the same product, or even different products of different colors? I saw an orange and a black that immediately suggested in my brain, tiger stripes. So, could I buy a black base, and the make some cool graphics with the orange? (both plastidip brands, but interested in just regular paint on plastidip effects as well)

Comment

I used plastidip on my tank and it looked great but peeled where my knees touched. I plan to powder-coat.

Comment

Working...
                              X