Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddlebags for Gs1000

Hey guys
    Me and the Mrs are currently planning a cross country trip on the ole zuki. I got a new back rack with sissybar and a sissybar bag for storage. I have a set of Leather bags that will fit but I dont think they will fit when the Mrs is on the back they are wide and pretty tall so no leg room, and to be honest i think they look hideous on the bike. I will also need to fabricate brackets to mount them permanetly. I was looking at different options of over the seat saddle bags such as

does anyone have these or similar models on a Gs1000 and how do you like them? Im not dead set on these bags but i like the style and size of these I searched the fourm and couldnt find any photos of anyone with them

Thanks
    -James

Yes I have the largest CL series bag they made at the time I ordered. I don't remember the number but they will hold a full face helmet. I attached stiffeners from an old set of bicycle panniers to the back of the bags with Velcro dots. It supports the bags nicely, but doesn't do much for the paint on my Progressive shocks. It was a temporary installation but it works and the paint was already rubbed on the shocks. I always have the bags on the bike so it has become permanent. This was taken before I installed a C model seat. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o...o/P1010320.JPG
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If you are willing to look at hard bags I would suggest SHAD brand
      www.Shadonline.com is a place to look (http://www.shadonline.com/) and they make some great products.
      I have their top case on my GS right now and will be replacing the cheaper bags in the future with quality ones from SHAD
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I have a set of Givi soft bags that I use a lot, they expand and carry quite a bit. I just throw them over the seat or under if with passanger.
        Attached Files
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I'm also looking for some that wont require me to remove the turn signal lamps when I put them on and the bags can be easily removed when not in use that another reason why I like the idea of soft bags. Wingsconson, I'm not opposed to hard bags as they appear to be super nice and well built, but for the cost and how often I would use them I don't know if I want to spend that much on them. Keep the photos a flowing and maybe we can get a nice standardized thread of what people like and don't like on their classic GS bikes

Comment

Thesse are actually for BICYCLE .Brand name "Bagman". Despite the picture, where NOW I have a fancy rack, they go on any bike just fine without moving signals.

BUT here's what's wrong with 'em: zippers that go round 90 degree corners....can swing in to wheels or fly up in the breeze when empty so needed modified attachment to loop around shocks. is-to-say, Many soft bags do not fit your bike as well as they fit Harleys.

Save $...(Notes for Scots) Normal sized backpacks. If you get two (the same!) about $20-30.
            You strap them together so they go across seat...the extra "stomach" straps and the general strappiness of the genre anyways can easily be modified to do as above and attach themselves almost anywhere to whatever rails and eyes you have...
            They also have Many pockets that motorcycle panniers do not have, so some "stuff" can be handy.

Also, you can take em off-one on your back, eh?, for carrying to a camp/motel etc.

Tip: bolt a thin piece of plywood inside them so they are rigid on back, if you are going to use these as saddle bags. Not so great as backpacks then though, soooo...
            Concurrent Idea-to-Try: Make plywood bagracks that are attached to bike for a trip...you can drill holes to suit the straps OR you can strap tents,sleeping bags whatever to the plywood and not buy any special bags at all.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-29-2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Comment

I was at a CycleGear store in NJ and liked the quality of the luggage they had - they have a few options for over the seat saddle bags. I like nice stuff and would have been happy with the quality of just about everything they had. It looks like there is a lot on sale right now (The Bilt ones for $60 look pretty nice):
                Shop Luggage here at Cycle Gear for the lowest prices, 90-day hassle free returns & no restocking fees.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

from OldVetPost #2 ....I like those - they are B I G. Big is best....not sure what a passenger might think... They look like they are top-loading or side-loading too. Top-loading can be very handy!
                  Zippers that go round corners? or not. "Not" is best.

the amazon ones http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-CL...84SY1R6159MG8T look like they MIGHT be faced the other way for the legs of a passenger, but really, probably shaped that way so they won't twist in towards the wheel??

Comment

We also have a large saddleman sissy bar bag also so the saddlebags are basically for extra storage of riding jackets and stuff and that way we an take them off when we stop at a location for the night
                    thanks for all the replies keep them coming

Comment

I spotted this idea on the XS forum, and will be copying it soon.
                      Removeable plywood hard backing to keep the soft bags where they should be.
                      Attached Files
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

that's a great idea Grimly

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                          I have a set of Givi soft bags that I use a lot, they expand and carry quite a bit. I just throw them over the seat or under if with passenger.

The bags and trunk as well as the rest of the load can be removed in less than 30 seconds.
                          Attached Files
                          Gustov
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          80 GS 550 L
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I like the GIVI bags, for me its between the nelson-riggs and givi. i'm going to figure out where the wife legs ride on the bike and measure to the turn signal and get a better handle on what size I need for the comfort of her

Comment

The Givi will mount nicely under the seat, and carry quite a load when expanded.

V
                              Gustov
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              80 GS 550 L
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment