Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for metallurgists, chemists, or maybe painters....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for metallurgists, chemists, or maybe painters....

Painting my motorcycle trailer, because it far too ugly even for dirt bikes. Rattle canning it, with not even a whole lot of prep, just knocking the mud and sand off and shooting. Using the stuff like Rustoleum and Hammerite that say they work OK over rust... I know that's not really true, but I don't really care how flawless it looks.
    Easy is good here.

Some of the spray paint cans say not to use them on galvanized metals. Why?
    Does it make poisonous gasses, the paint won't stick, maybe it eats away the metal? Maybe the finish ends up looking funny? Maybe the paint looks like crap? Maybe something serious will happen, the Earth tilts off of it's axis or something?

About half of the trailer is galvanized, the half I haven't painted yet.

Life is too short to ride an L.

I suck at painting, so what you're doing sounds just great to me.

Comment

I'm getting pretty good at it, but a 1961 Rocket trailer just isn't going to get the time and effort one of my two wheeled masterpieces gets.

Before pic...

Last edited by tkent02; 06-13-2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Generally, with galvanized metal, paint has a hard time adhering. That's why galvanized metal is typically left unpainted. No it does not make poisonous gas, it just does not stick well.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
          Generally, with galvanized metal, paint has a hard time adhering. That's why galvanized metal is typically left unpainted. No it does not make poisonous gas, it just does not stick well.
          OK, thanks. Is a can that does not say not to use it going to stick any better? Or does it all suck? Can I use a special primer or something?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            OK, thanks. Is a can that does not say not to use it going to stick any better? Or does it all suck? Can I use a special primer or something?
            Agreed it is an adhesion problem, it is hard to get paint to stick to galvanized. Sand it with 320 paper for the best paint adhesion without scratches. Galvanized steel does put off poison gas if you weld it.
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Plasti-Dip it.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Plasti-Dip it.
                Will that work any better?

Comment

It should stick, especially on older galvanized surfaces.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    It should stick, especially on older galvanized surfaces.
                    The part I have left to paint are the tracks the bikes roll up. Is the plasti-dip tough enough for the tires to roll on?

Comment

Why not use some of the rattle can bed liner stuff, probably a bit thicker and more durable, just hit the inside of the runners with a wire brush, tape off the outside u don't want painted. Walmart has it.

Comment

The part I have left to paint are the tracks the bikes roll up. Is the plasti-dip tough enough for the tires to roll on?
                        Probably not....

Plastidip is best on parts that have a no contact, if you rub an area too much and too long the plastidip will come off

Comment

Will that work any better?
                          Hit it with some Bulldog first.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Bad idea putting enamels on galvanized surfaces. ...."my theory which is mine" (if you remember Monty Python) developed in saltwater environments: zinc coating is sacrificed electrically to protect the steel , so paint even successfully applied puts the corrosion protection to any breakage in the paint surface , where before, the whole surface of galvanising somewhat protected the worn off bits, now you have pustules of powdered zinc at any break or edge lifting the paint off
                            otherwise
                            Google is your friend but here's one if you believe it.

Comment

...I'd be trying som galvanising spray-on instead. Reports I have say it works ok though nothing beats a proper dip of the metal

Comment

Working...
                              X