Been doing some zinc plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing some zinc plating

I have done a few bits like the front brake hardware and rider peg bolts for my 78 1000.Had to put a piston set in the rear MC so zincing the hardware seemed like a good idea,this is what I started with.

This is how they turned out.Really do need to get a better power source as all I have now is a 1 amp"dumb" battery charger.I'm using the Triumph forum formula(that I can't seen to link to from my downloads).Leaves the surface grey but polishes up nicely.More pics when I get the MC in later today.

A better power supply and a little more prep and you'll have it down.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It would have helped if I wore gloves handling the clean partsStill ain't to bad for my very ............primitive set up.

Looking pretty spiffy all together,brake is good to

Comment

Keep perfecting the process and you'll have a nice setup. Plating and painting are one of those "technique" and equipment things that only gets better with time. Kind of like making your own beer.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Keep perfecting the process and you'll have a nice setup. Plating and painting are one of those "technique" and equipment things that only gets better with time. Kind of like making your own beer.
          Gawd, I hope so! The first batch of beer I ever made was, well...it didn't kill anyone
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            The first batch of beer I ever made was, well...it didn't kill anyone
            I've never tried zinc playing although I may after seeing this but agreed, painting and brewing become better with practice! My stance was it's an "acquired taste" and everyone that tried it apparently hadn't acquired the taste...
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Finally got the power source but not much to do with it right now.Looking for tips though.Like all stuff like this prep is key.Starting to think that my pure vinegar/Epsom salt bath might need to be diluted with water.Been using battery zinc for the anodes(?),wondering if there's a better material to use.What setting would be a good Voltage/amp starting point with the new power?

Comment

I've plated a few bits using a small 6 volt battery charger, a shaft zinc for a boat, distilled water, white vinegar, sugar and Arm and Hammer laundry detergent. While the parts look good after plating and polishing, many of them have rusted in places, which spread. most of the bolts I just painted in place with black caliper paint, as they were bolted to black components.

I'll be following this thread as I'd really like to improve the process so I get properly plated parts. I've reviewed many youtube videos and other threads here, just haven't been able to get the results I'd like.

Comment

Back in minnesota i knew a guy that did his own zinc plating.
                  He went to a local metal supplier to get his zinc. You might be able to so something similar, but they might need to special order it.
                  He used a muriatic acid, ammonia, water and glycol mix for his chem tub(you can get all these at auto and hardware stores). He ran at about 10V 5A for a longer duration and the glycol very small amount added a certain additional brightness and shine to the finish.
                  13.5V 3A without the glycol for slightly less time for more of a bright but dull finish.
                  Maybe this will help, it is probably not the best mixture for a DYI.

I have also heard of apple cider vinegar, epsom salt and a bottle of lemon juice. Set at 6-8V 4A for longer duration with some kind of occasional agitation to move the parts being plated around works too.

Comment

Originally posted by edgeofvamp View Post
                    Back in minnesota i knew a guy that did his own zinc plating.
                    He went to a local metal supplier to get his zinc. You might be able to so something similar, but they might need to special order it.
                    He used a muriatic acid, ammonia, water and glycol mix for his chem tub(you can get all these at auto and hardware stores). He ran at about 10V 5A for a longer duration and the glycol very small amount added a certain additional brightness and shine to the finish.
                    13.5V 3A without the glycol for slightly less time for more of a bright but dull finish.
                    Maybe this will help, it is probably not the best mixture for a DYI.

I have also heard of apple cider vinegar, epsom salt and a bottle of lemon juice. Set at 6-8V 4A for longer duration with some kind of occasional agitation to move the parts being plated around works too.
                    That first mix sounds toxic as heck.Pretty much using the second one with white vinegar instead of cider and no lemon juice.Would like more feedback as the brake rotor bolts on the GPZ project could use a new finish. Maybe add some glycol to the mix?
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2016, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Yeah the first mix is somewhat toxic, but dilutes to harmless quickly in water. Glycol(antifreeze) is the worst part of the mix.

Comment

I've been using the Caswell's Plating zinc plating chemicals for a few years now and they work well. After my first bath went south I tried to make my own using a plating solution formula from a professional plating forum but the result was never right. Gave up and bought some replenishment chemicals from Caswell's and the results were instantly beautiful again.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          I've been using the Caswell's Plating zinc plating chemicals for a few years now and they work well. After my first bath went south I tried to make my own using a plating solution formula from a professional plating forum but the result was never right. Gave up and bought some replenishment chemicals from Caswell's and the results were instantly beautiful again.
                          Wonderful,the Caswell stuff is way over what we can afford

Comment

A couple of tips that may help you...

Be sure to strip ALL the old grease/oil and rust off the old parts. Some caustic cleaner works well to get rid of the grease, something like the Purple stuff. Next is to get rid of the rust. There are various method that all work including sand/bead blasting, wire wheeling, or soaking in acid (phosphoric or HCl). When you use the acid the part will bubble like hell in the sauce as the old zinc is removed. When the bubbling is done all the zinc is gone. I don't recommend doing this for you though, because you can use all the zinc you can get on the parts. I'd use the media blaster followed by a fine wire wheel to polish the metal and make it smooth. I put two wire wheels on my grinder; a clean wheel for final polishing before plating and a second wheel that's more dirty for stripping rust or what have you. After the final wire wheeling I degrease again with simple green. And the last step before going into the zinc tank is a quick 3 second dip is diluted HCl acid, followed by a water rinse. This very last step is used to make sure there is nothing on the part that will keep the plating from sticking. Don't leave the part in this sauce for long though or it will hinder the plating. Just a quicky.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Been doing most of that except for the blasting.Now that my cabinet's going that is an option.Been using Muriatic to clean off the old plating,it really goes to town.The 2 wire wheels sounds like a good idea.The final HCI dip sounds like a plan to.

Comment

Working...
                              X