Gauge Cluster Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Cluster Maintenance

This is a two part question, first has anyone found away to repaint the center part of the of the gauge cluster? I'm sure this has been adressed before but I am having very little luck with searching for it.
    Second question, since I now have a cluster in a good condition is there anything I can do to keep it in that way?20150821_102610.jpg

first question; the Cluster all comes apart so painting is not difficult if that's what you mean?
    second question, you already know..Always park in shade. Shade isn't everywhere sooo, Glass allows uv to pass through-I am thinking an extra easily-replaceable piece of plexiglass over the gauges will stop uv light and save the faces of the clocks...or even a screen saver/window film shaped to fit will help. But your dial lighting will be dimmed a bit depending what you use.

Comment

I am more worried about the lettering on the warning lights and how to keep them readable.20150821_102639.jpg
      This is my old cluster that I would like to see restored. You can see like many the words are just gone. I was thinking vinyl lettering but getting them that small is difficult.

Comment

There was a mber printing gauge faceplate decals; you would need to search who it was.

Comment

I've produced these switch control decals to fit 1980/1981 GS 1100, 1000, and 850 series. Graphics and fonts are period correct, and are reproduced on 5-year vinyl with adhesive backs. Detail can be found on my Albums (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/album.php?albumid=1866&pictureid=9950) page. Item 1, Full Set

You may enquire and see if he can manage the clusters also...
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Take some GREEN auto painting tape and set over the face plate and lettering and carefully trim it to protect the race?? And if your interested in keeping them nice and black and minimizing sun fade, try Mothers Back To Black. It restores some pretty badly faded plastic quite well so I would imagin a dose each spring would be helpfull. Makes brake lines, control cables, and seat look awesome too.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X