Redid rear end of the bike a little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redid rear end of the bike a little

So yesterday after work i did a little reworking of the rear of my bike. The number one thing i needed to do was relocate my taillight and lisence plate up higher so that it was no longer restricting the travel of the tire. With my new D606 being slightly taller, it actually ripped the plate off the mount. I am an awful welder, so dont laugh to hard haha. Its all 304 and 316 stainless steel, cause thats 98% of all the material we use at work so naturally thats all thats in the scrap bins.
    This is it to begin with, just kind of a slap chop job. Though im not that great at fabricating, so you may not think this is any better lol.
    WP_20150903_001[1].jpg
    I used 3/8 rod to make a hoop. Almost wish i had gone with 1/8 flat bar, but that would have needed a little more work done and sice im doing this at work i dont wont to be there any longer than i have too haha. I took a strip of 1/8 bar and welded it to the ends of the frame to close it off. This took me over 2 hours to do already, it was like after 7 when i left work...
    I just got done spray painting it black, its dark out though so no picks. I wasnt sure how much i liked it at first, but now thats its painted i think ill grow into it easier. Itll give me a place to strap on my back pack so i dont have to have it on my back all the time.

Wow they look very aggressive tyres, what they like on the road.

Comment

Surprisingly well. The old tire was a completely bald Kenda. It would even slide out and spin if i got on the throttle while cornering, so this is actually an improvement. Only complaint i have is the road noise, it sounds just like a truck with mud tires. At highway speed it almost drowns the sound of my open exhaust. I also drive a little slower now, i used to be almost wide open everywhere on all the county roads, but now i dont go over 65-70mph because even though it has an R speed rating for 106mph when your at higher speeds it likes to walk a little bit

Comment

Looks good, but keep an eye on those welds unless you tig'd it.

Comment

why do you say that? I used 309 wire which is for welding stainless to carbon

Comment

I didn't know you used the right stuff. 99% of people don't, mostly cause they don't know. But your welds look freaking good! Better than mine right now

Comment

Working...
            X