Suggestions for Seat Upholstery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for Seat Upholstery

I should have my daughters CB300F in several weeks. My first impression of the seat was about 45 minutes to numb ass. I am going to get more comfortable foam put on it and have it reupholstered with a textured top and smooth sides. This will give me an opportunity to pick a color for the inset that might really compliment the bike. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated as to what should be used to make it more comfortable and a color combination that would really set off the bike. The passenger pad may or may not be done because it will be covered with a Triumph speed triple tank bag converted to a tail bag. Here is a link for the bike: https://goo.gl/photos/XeAkRbeLJE5uw1r57
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Are you setting this up for you or your daughter?

Are the two of you about the same size and weight?

What is "comfortable" for one might be torture for another (and vice versa), so modify carefully.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've noticed that a couple different seats I've got have a chunk of memory foam on the bottom of the main seating area. About 12"x12". The foam top surface is smooth and one piece, but inset in the foam is the memory foam. It would be a little tricky but you should be able to carve a cavity in the bottom of the stock foam to replicate this method. That's what I would do anyway.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

She is a short fat fanny too big for my britches, so though she has more spread I would say weight is about the same. The answer to the question is both.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks nessism you reminded me of the inset in my GS1000 seats. What about that and possibly a layer of jell over the top. I will have a shop do the job. I want a two tone seat with sides and top different colors and possibly tying it into the front of the passenger seat. What do you think about a color scheme that would complement and contrast the bike? I want something that makes it look real nice and stands out from the pack. There is too much black and red, but the Daughter likes the red bike.
          Last edited by OldVet66; 09-06-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

What about something like what i used on my vulcan? It's a gel pad with a layer of foam cast on the top?

Comment

That sounds like it would work. I want it firm but comfortable on the long haul. I have heard mixed thoughts on gel but with another layer of foam on top it might just be the ticket. I'll let the shop be my final guide because I have no idea how it will be after break in. I would love to get some feed back on a color scheme though.

Comment

Finally got up to the upholstery shop today. Decided to have a layer of gel put under the factory foam, keep it black with a gunmetal grey carbon fiber patterned seat top inset with heavy red stitching to tie it all together. The little seat back on the passenger seat will also be the grey. If I'm totally out of the ballpark with this color scheme let me know before I make a mistake. I'd like to get it right the first time but have something a little different from the herd.

Comment

Have them add a layer of 1/4" smoothing foam too. It'll help alot. That's about the only thing i have left that i need to do to spock's seat before i call it 100%

Comment

Working...
                  X