Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS750 point cover, is lettering badge or part of cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750 point cover, is lettering badge or part of cover?

Just curious if anyone is familiar with these late 70s Suzuki point covers. I got it all cleaned up for powder coat. Is the lettering part of the cover or is it a separate badge. I thought I've seen replacement badges but if this is a badge, I can't figure how to get it off. Thanks.

It is, indeed, a "badge".

Look on the back side, you will likely see a hole about 12-14mm in diameter. You can push on that to loosen from the center(-ish) of the badge, but you can also use a thin blade to come in from the outer edge. Use some sort of adhesive dissolver to hasten the process a bit. Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, acetone, Goo-Gone, many things might help release it.

Comment

It's a badge, glued in place, but the glue will withstand 375 for 15 minutes. I powdercoated one and it came out pretty good.

You can't get the original badge from Suzuki anymore, the replacement doesn't look the same. Sometimes they come up on Ebay, but they tend to be expensive.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok thanks. I really don't have any attachment to the badge as I am not restoring this to original. Just need to decide to powder coat over it or remove it.

Comment

Heat the cover from the back to soften the glue and get it started with a utility blade from the edge and peel it away. Acetone will remove the rest of the glue.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I bought new engine badges for my 79 1000e. Thay aren't the original black ones, but I think the newer ones look better. Silver with gold accents. I tried to carefully peel the original ones off but they kind of got bent. They weren't in the best of condition in the first place.
            Attached Files
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

A badge even in that condition would be valuable to someone. Mine was in worse condition then that and I spent about 4 hrs. carefully tapping out the dents from behind, filing and smoothing it out before repainting it because I wanted an original, which as mentioned is unavailable. Please remove it carefully and if you choose not to use it maybe let someone who wants an original one to take it off your hands.

1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

How time flies. I remember buying one new from the dealer, but now that I think about it, it was probably at least 10 or 15 years ago!
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                X