Making tabs for side covers, 1983 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making tabs for side covers, 1983 GS1100E

What would be the best method to make new tabs for side covers? I have bondo but am not sure as to what material to use and how to fashion them the right size. Ideas please.
    1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
    1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
    1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
    1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

I don't think automotive bondo is a very good choice if that's what you have.
    2 better products would be pc7 or Quicksteel. Two part putty that you knead together. Strong and hard.
    If you have a little bit of the original tab left and can form the putty around it , it will hold well.
    As far as the shape of the tab, we'll copy the others I guess if you can.

Comment

You really have to get creative when it comes to rebuilding sidecover tabs/ clips.
      Its trial and error sometimes.

Comment

Search is your friend. Many post with good results.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I checked the threads and have decided on trying rare earth magnets and 1/2 inch dowels. I figure since the frame is steel and rare earth magnets are quite strong, it eliminates the need for rubber grommets and the chance that they may break again (no offense to those who have had their work last for years). If magnets do not work, I can try other methods, or just pay for good used side covers when they show up on ebay. Thanks again for all the great advice.
          1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
          1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
          1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
          1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            I don't think automotive bondo is a very good choice if that's what you have.
            2 better products would be pc7 or Quicksteel. Two part putty that you knead together. Strong and hard.
            If you have a little bit of the original tab left and can form the putty around it , it will hold well.
            As far as the shape of the tab, we'll copy the others I guess if you can.
            I used bondo to hold a tab I made to my side cover. Haven't had any issues yet. JB weld didn't work.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I used a piece of copper from a 1/2" piece of tubing. Used the old tab as a template. Cut a groove to have a protruding piece of sidecover plastic fit into tight. Glued and that was it. Wasn't pretty, but functional. Could be made to look good with a little bondo and paint I suppose.
              Problems with these tabs are old plastic, old age makes the brittle I think. The replacements for your rubber grommets these fit into have a new part number, but the grommet holes are smaller and the tabs don't fit into them, I broke a tab trying.

I also made a new post for one that had broken. Used a screw, made the same size and shape of the old post, and screwed it into two flat washers for a tight fit. Roughed up all the metal and plastic before I applied super glue. Worked.

Last edited by sedelen; 03-18-2016, 11:10 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

This is how I did it.
                Amazing stuff and working great.
                Easiest method also
                Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

Working...
                X