No announcement yet.

How to clean up the aluminum cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like the gospel is: GS cases MUST BE POLISHED!!!
    Why not, brush them, or paint them?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Seems like the gospel is: GS cases MUST BE POLISHED!!!
      Why not, brush them, or paint them?
      I'm a horrible painter, so I think that leaves me with brushed, or maybe powder-coat. I toyed with the idea of polishing the drum brake cover to match my shiny (well they are shiny under the dirt) wire wheels. Anyway, I think you're on to something. I'm going to look into painting my cases oil color so it hides all the leaks.

Comment

And if you go the polishing route. Use "Wizards, Power Seal" it's a metal sealer. It keeps the aluminum shiny longer. Chuck Hahn turned me on to the stuff. So far it's working good for me. 👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Some day I will have to try the sisal wheel and black polish.

So far, I am happy with my stitched cotton wheel and white polish.

I have tried various grits of paper, but so far, I have the best results with stripper to remove the clear coat, then one of those Scotch-Brite looking wheels from Harbor Freight.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by shibby_cbs View Post
            Depending on what grit you get it will change the finish though glass bead from my experience isn't really well suited for creating a finished product at least on aluminum. It does though leave a perfect finish for painting and takes to polishing very well. I think this is what i will be doing. cleaning it up with the glass bead then hitting it with the sisal wheel and black compound. i will then use finer compounds to suit the finish i am looking for. i originally said i was looking for a brushed finish but after seeing Runeight's pictures im not so sure . here is the finish that glass bead leaves on aluminum. at least the grit i am using anyway. ill run out into the garage and look here in a sec but i believe it is 80 grit. I'll correct this if i am wrong. keep in mind i partially blasted this piece almost 2 years ago so there are some nicks and scratches though this kinda illustrates how fragile the finish is.

Wow, a lot duller than I expected...thanks for the pic! ....Btw, what pressure where you using...the only sand blasting I ever did was black beauty @ 80psi to remove rust, so my experience is limited.

Comment

"Sisal" wheel...that's the rope filled one, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                "Sisal" wheel...that's the rope filled one, right?
                It can be yes. I'ts more specifically a type of fiber. The most important part of this though is the black compound. it is very abrasive as compared to other compounds such white green and brown. So long as you have a stiffer type wheel you should get similar results though it may take longer. People do seem to prefer the sisal wheels.

Comment

It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other when it comes to stitched cotton vs sisal. Obviously both Ed and Steve have achieved great results with their own methods. It may benefit the OP to contact Steve and ask his prices for polishing. He quoted me some caps & bowls a while back and the price, well lets just say you can't afford to do it yourself for how little Steve charges. The project did not warrant me doing it this time but I will use Steve in the future. Oh, and hello Steve, looks like your back!

Comment

Wow, a lot duller than I expected...thanks for the pic! ....Btw, what pressure where you using...the only sand blasting I ever did was black beauty @ 80psi to remove rust, so my experience is limited.
                    I have tried glass bead, aluminum oxide and walnut shells, all at about 90psi. The walnut shells didn't do anything except waste some time (OK, a LOT of time), the other two looked pretty much like shibby's picture.

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                    Oh, and hello Steve, looks like your back!
                    Yep, I'm back.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                      It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other when it comes to stitched cotton vs sisal. Obviously both Ed and Steve have achieved great results with their own methods. It may benefit the OP to contact Steve and ask his prices for polishing. He quoted me some caps & bowls a while back and the price, well lets just say you can't afford to do it yourself for how little Steve charges. The project did not warrant me doing it this time but I will use Steve in the future. Oh, and hello Steve, looks like your back!
                      So again, which wheel depends on how much scratching and/or corrosion you need to remove. The Sisal wheel is stiffer and will remove the imperfections and sandpaper scratches easier. It doesn't buff the surface to as bright a sheen though.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I have tried glass bead, aluminum oxide and walnut shells, all at about 90psi. The walnut shells didn't do anything except waste some time (OK, a LOT of time), the other two looked pretty much like shibby's picture.

Yep, I'm back.

I tried to used walnut shells eons ago to clean up an engine{car} for painting....ugh...took forever. Swapped out for the good stuff....much better results!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          So again, which wheel depends on how much scratching and/or corrosion you need to remove. The Sisal wheel is stiffer and will remove the imperfections and sandpaper scratches easier. It doesn't buff the surface to as bright a sheen though.
                          I've got harbor freights loose and sewn wheels, with green rouge, for a brass clean up project at work....nice results. They had a rope centered wheel....just never got it. I don't remember them having black rouge...will have to search around for that....probably eastwood....

Comment

I've got harbor freights loose and sewn wheels, with green rouge, for a brass clean up project at work....nice results. They had a rope centered wheel....just never got it. I don't remember them having black rouge...will have to search around for that....probably eastwood....
                            Sears sells the black cutting compound. I didn't see a sisal wheel there though.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That starter cover doesn't count Steve!

Comment

This thread is timed perfect for me. I've got my engine in pieces and was researching what to do to clean it up before putting everything back together. wahoo!

Comment

Working...
                                X