NON GS ? about paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NON GS ? about paint

I have a 2013 Mazda3 I bought new. It has 40K on it. The wheels are steel, painted flat black and have plastic hub caps. Yeah, it's THAT stylish, heheh. The flat black has turned a bit rusty looking. I've taken good care of the car's appearance and this sticks out like a sore thumb and annoys me. I'm about ready to outline the hubcap on cardboard and use the cutout to mask the wheels and have at it with a can of flat black from O'Reilly's. What's to stop me? Can I screw this up? Thanks RJ

It's hard to screw up flat black. Just don't shoot it so thick it runs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Ordered it!
        If I use a sweeping motion and release the spray button before stopping I should minimize the risk of runs. Thanks guys. Sorry, there will be NO pics!

Comment

It'll work well.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Sound easy enough. Years ago I rattle canned a set of steel wheels gloss black. Thousands of miles, then 15 years of sitting outdoors under a carport...... they are still fine- after hosing off the dust- still no rust, and shiny..... and you're not worried about shine.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

If it was me, I'd forget the cardboard cutout and masking wheels part.
              Had good results in past by remove the hubcaps using the flat end of tire iron,
              just use a wet rag to wet the rubber tire,careful not the metal.
              Then spray the wheel and quickly rub the wet rag/towel over the rubber and the overspray wipes right off if done quick enough anyway.
              That's how I'd do it anyhow. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
                Then spray the wheel and quickly rub the wet rag/towel over the rubber and the overspray wipes right off if done quick enough anyway.
                When I was a teenager, the trick to "masking" the tire off was to rub a thin coat of axle grease onto the rubber. Paint the wheel, and once the paint has cured, you wash the grease off the tire. Same principle, but the grease will last a lot longer than water.

Comment

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
                  Originally posted by JJ View Post
                  When I was a teenager, the trick to "masking" the tire off was to rub a thin coat of axle grease onto the rubber. Paint the wheel, and once the paint has cured, you wash the grease off the tire. Same principle, but the grease will last a lot longer than water.
                  I have used Vaseline instead of grease on the tire,it works great and is less messy than grease would be.

Comment

I just let out a little air and then jam a bunch of waxy playing cards around the edge. Paint it and then while the paint is still wet, pop the cards out and you get a nice clean edge at the back edge of the lip of the rim.
                    Let it dry and then air up and mount them back up.
                    Is it a rusty color due to rust or due to brake dust? Make sure to rough up the current paint with scotch brite or the new paint will flake off.

Comment

Working...
                    X