DIYing a seatpan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIYing a seatpan

Hey all, I am trying to DIY a seat pan and seat for my 86 gs450 and was planning on using a skateboard deck but after some quick measurements, we found that the frame has a couple mounting holes about 9-9.5 inches apart- obviously wider than a skate deck. I was planning on using a deck because of the subtle kick at the back side, it would make for a great brat seat. What have y'all used instead to create a custom seat pan?

Keep in mind that there are very few here that do that kind of work.
    There are cafe and brat forums that might get you a quicker answer.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A seat pan is relatively straight forward. Find something curved that follows the shape you want as a form. Then layup the glass and trim to suit.

Try google if you want pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        A seat pan is relatively straight forward. Find something curved that follows the shape you want as a form. Then layup the glass and trim to suit.

Try google if you want pictures.

http://wisnercycles.blogspot.com/201...-seat-pan.html
        I bookmarked the first one...Looks like good to know for future something.

Maybe a good alternative is to search for the same model seat on ebay.
        One can even email various motorcycle salvage yards and let them know they're looking for one.
        Seems like ebay is good because after a while the price drops usually...
        I've come across a few MC salvages searching used parts and clicking on "ebay store" or see seller's other items.
        Been thinking of getting another seat myself , just for the pan, and doing a custom to see which I like better.
        Seems like the easiest option too.

I've only "mocked up" a seat ,once and never completed it. It was plywood. I was planning on using some packing foam similar to the kickboards for kids at the $1 store, the plasticky stuff that won't ever absorb water much,ever...
        I had a bunch of foam roll things from old weight sets and daydreamed of a seat made from cross pipes, each with a pad roll thing from junk weight benches...Those can be cut in half also to create ridges in the seat I imagine...

I read in a thread on different forum the guy stated aluminum streetsigns were good to use,,,Once in a blue moon can find one that's not questionable origin, like a private property "No Parking" or such owned by apt.s or construction co.
        The cover would need to go all over (rather than stapled on)...

I've been working on a leather cover for my MC, going to probably try and pop-rivet the covering on...
        Goodluck!

Comment

Working...
        X