On The Hunt For Awesome Fairings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On The Hunt For Awesome Fairings!

Below is a link to a Vetter fairing that I like (Even if only for function and the unique qualities it beholds)

Let me know of your custom builds, or whatever else you guys have come up with for a fairing!

Harley Davidson Sportster components, Defiant scooter kit, Defiant Motor Scooter Company

Those don't look like they have any ability to cool the engine. Looks more like it should be made by Airstream.

Is Craig Vetter still alive? I remember he was sort of a hippie looking guy back in the day. However, many of us were hippie types as well.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Those fairings look like something the Roman Gladiators would use in battle. Here is a CL listing with just as hideous looking fairing. I'm sure they're effective in protecting you from all sorts of road "things" and allows you to be a speeding bullet down the highways. I've ridden with all levels of fairings/windshields on many bikes. I just see them as a compromise to the riding experience and usually prefer naked bikes. Sure if you do highway and 3k mile trips but....I will leave the full windshield on the GS850G now with temps dropping to the 40s.
      Note: The full fairings cook you in the warm temps and reflect a lot of engine noise up to rider. I also hit my knees on some because of my long legs.

Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah, those have like, O style.
        Kinda like what they used to call “dust bin fairings” back in 1950s Britain.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I spoke with his wife 3 years ago and indeed Mr. Vetter was still alive and kicking, funny enough the reason she was answering calls/emails was that he was in the hospital for an elective surgery.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

...in anticipation of riding to Alaska. She asked me to design a fairing for her. Sounded good to me.
            Ah, Makes sence after reading...it's MOOSE PROOF !!! (LOL)

Then there was This too:
            ...Recently, he has been riding in California's El Nino rain. He arrives absolutely dry! He has no rain suit, either. This is a good start. ...
            I'm about to call "BS"...The Mythbusters did the thing on "running in the rain" on one episode, can't recall exactly but no matter how fast they still got wet (ter?)...

Geez, I saw a huge Wok bowl/pan in thrift store and was wondering IF I could turn it into a fairing.
            Now I don't feel dumb because that looks like either a whole oven or a refridgerator into one!

Well if the rider likes it good for them. Just Can't imagine it is all.

My .02 (all got left after property tax today, late fee, sticker fee, DMV hold release, think got double billed on one...NO tax on the GSX1100 , just $16 sticker fee...blue book low guess WooHoo! ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post
              Below is a link to a Vetter fairing that I like (Even if only for function and the unique qualities it beholds)

Let me know of your custom builds, or whatever else you guys have come up with for a fairing!
              If unique qualities is code for fugly, then I agree with you. I have never done custom bodywork (yet), but I am thinking about adding a small fly screen to my 1100E when I replace the giant OEM gauge cluster with a Trail Tech Vapor. Something like the Ducati Monster fly screen:

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                If unique qualities is code for fugly, then I agree with you. I have never done custom bodywork (yet), but I am thinking about adding a small fly screen to my 1100E when I replace the giant OEM gauge cluster with a Trail Tech Vapor. Something like the Ducati Monster fly screen:

Mark
                HERE's some similar to that image.

(It's ebay item so link is several similar, if no worky type /copy paste actually:
                Windscreen For Windshield Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 1200 GS500 GSX1100G VX800 W03#G

I looked at those first for mine. Then/now I was about to order an "Emgo Viper" , IF I had the dough, I'd get an air-tech project Buffalo Bill's awesome one HERE...I'd have to mod my headlight for 1/2 fairing.

I might get creative and try my own (1/4 fairing from metal and /OR try heat-forming some lexan/plexiglass ...
                (still pondering it, ....I had to pay bunch "county tax" friday, set me back for moment)

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  Those fairings look like something the Roman Gladiators would use in battle. Here is a CL listing with just as hideous looking fairing. I'm sure they're effective in protecting you from all sorts of road "things" and allows you to be a speeding bullet down the highways. I've ridden with all levels of fairings/windshields on many bikes. I just see them as a compromise to the riding experience and usually prefer naked bikes. Sure if you do highway and 3k mile trips but....I will leave the full windshield on the GS850G now with temps dropping to the 40s.
                  Note: The full fairings cook you in the warm temps and reflect a lot of engine noise up to rider. I also hit my knees on some because of my long legs.

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5796101070.html
                  How do you go for years without a title? I seem to see it a lot these days. I don't think I'd buy a bike with just a "bill of sales". If the title was lost, I guess that's one thing.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                  Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                    How do you go for years without a title? I seem to see it a lot these days.
                    That depends a lot on the location of the bike. Some states do not issue titles for bikes over a certain age, usually 20 or 25 years old. In those states, a bill of sale (probably notarized) will get you a registration and you are on your way.

I think that is the basic principle behind how the Vermont Title Service works. Vermont does not require a title, so you register your bike there, then transfer it to your home state. Since your state should honor what came from another state, you should be good to go. They might issue their own title based on available information, but that is up to the individual states.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How do you go for years without a title? I seem to see it a lot these days. I don't think I'd buy a bike with just a "bill of sales". If the title was lost, I guess that's one thing.
                      In NH it used to be any vehicle older than 15 years did not get a title reissued on a sale, so for a 1983 bike anytime after 1998 if purchased you would not need to get a title from the seller. Now the NH law is that any vehicle manufactured prior to 2000 does not need a title on a sale, nor can you get NH DMV to issue a new one. For bikes I've sold out of state of that vintage, I've given the buyer a notarized bill of sale, a photocopy of my existing NH registration and have not had a problem when the buyer goes to their state's DMV to register. I always indicate to a potential out of state buyer to verify with their DMV before the transaction.
                      So yes this ad would be legit even if seller has no title, but just a bill of sale will not be sufficient even if a NH buyer. You still need proof of a prior registration or a VIN verification form filled out by local PD or inspection station person. I try to explain this to some sellers but a few just don't get it, so I back away from any deal.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

You guys actually get a separate document for your vehicles, like a title to a piece of property? We don't get vehicle titles up here, a bill of sale and proof of insurance are all that is required to register a vehicle here.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Yes, there is a piece of paper that shows that we are the legal owner, it's called a "title".

Here, the title to a piece of property (real estate) is called a "deed".

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you're gonna ride for weeks in really wet cold conditions, like an Alcan highway journey to the Arctic circle.
                            Then it makes sense to me.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-02-2016, 08:13 AM.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              If you're gonna ride for weeks in really wet cold conditions, like an Alcan highway journey to the Arctic circle.
                              Then it makes sense to me.

For arctic circle riding , Bet a couple small propane tanks and something like a Mr. buddy heater could fit OR modified to fit. It'd be nice to have heat ,,,I rode in bad snow once (got caught in a blizzard. It was scary at first and then sort of fun, humorous. Because there were almost NO other vehicles on road, so I went slow and dragged boots like a sled at times...'86 Honda Magna, no fairing though.
                              I have a probably "healthy fear" of tall fairings. Just don't want to hit one in a crash. Like to be able to duck behind wind OR fly over it if needed. The "adventure" thing compounds it for me ( below 40F I may want one, Dunno)...

Here's a fairing pic I bookmarked the other day , just interesting is all. Mods to dual headlights can work sometimes I'm happy with the stock one, but this shape works for dual on it IMO. (the paint is probably better in pic than real-life. Kinda reminds me of something silly(like candy or watermelon rinds, IDK).
                              Gold engine bolts WT...? These always look best in Black for some reason .
                              Each angle looks different too. Hardly ever comes out in pics IMO.
                              One moment I look at mine like, "it's a standard, a "beater" is all" A different angle and "Holy crap she's bad...awesome, (etc.)! It's a tricky shape(s).
                              Think I bookmarked it for the good view of chin spoiler (incase ever make my own from metal maybe too)

Oh, at first the top two (in quote) I was thinking, "Bet one could pee while riding (like truckers do , heard someplace) BUT it's sort of so odd fairing I think it could grow on someone for uniqueness...

Comment

Working...
                              X