GS seat re-covering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS seat re-covering

#### Well, that was the state of the seat cover, pretty much in tatters and gone dry as a bone;

#### this was the solution, or was it...?

#### first problem. looking from behind, was the lack of the little hem, where the grappling material, in my case, plain simple steel wire, would be wound in;

#### So, the cover was supposed to be employed in a nylon saddle bucket, kept together by means of a staple gun;

How to tackle the issue, short of sending the item back...?
    enters "the Ma" !!

#### Some measurements where necessary, in order to adapt the cover to the steel GS bucket;
    a strip of vinyl had to be sourced and profiled according to the cardboard outline

#### The necessary fine trimming...

#### Finally fed to the sewing machine

[end of part one]
    Last edited by Lorenzo; 12-05-2017, 07:44 AM. Reason: Addressing the photobucket issue...
    GS1000G '81

#### Meanwhile, dressing the edge of the bucket, with rubber edging;
    the hole for the metal stud and the little barb, where the vinyl is going to get pegged, are visible;

#### Detail of the piping work;

#### Installing the steel wire into the hem;

#### Heating up the cover prior to install;

#### Working the vinyl around the foam; the edge of the cover, is hooked in triangular spikes, sheared from the bucket side, C clamps are squeezed over, to clasp the steel-wire-backed piping; round studs, are applied to distribute the strain on the vinyl;

#### The seal of approval

#### The outcome of the "team" effort...

Not bad for a first try, I would say, also, let me point, all this would have not been possible, without the knowledge and expertise of "the Ma"!
    Last edited by Lorenzo; 12-05-2017, 07:56 AM.
    GS1000G '81

Comment

Wonderful! she's a treasure!

(true about the wire-I guess it controls any "gathering" or wrinkles from attachment points on steel seats..? )

Comment

Fantastic job! I've got a new cover still in the box. Does "The Ma" make house calls?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

You KNOW she deserves a ride now, don't you?

It may not be as impossible as you think. I took my mother for her first ride ever just a few days before her 85th birthday.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha......sweat shop for bike seats!! when can I send mine over???
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Excellent job, and good point about the rubber or vinyl edging on the rim of the pan - I don't recall seeing that on the originals and I've had more than one cover start to tear on the edge. The edging may prevent that, or at least prolong the life of that section until the rest of it is a lot older and falls apart anyway.
              I'm going to use edging on my next re-covering.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes, that's right.
                Keep also in mind that, the cover you are going to purchase, might be like the one I got;
                So, no hem for the retaining material, which you will be expected to manufacture yourself, unless you got a nylon bucket.
                GS1000G '81

Comment

Beautiful work! Thanks Ma!!!

The seat looks like my "T's". Nicely done!!!

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I wasn't anal about my cover looking like factory, so I just took it to an upholsterer. Couldn't beat the $110 price, either.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Where did you buy the original cover? I need one, and want to make sure I DO NOT get one that needs that much work if there are better options out there! Plus, my sewing skills leave much to be desired!

Anyone know where an original design replacement cover that will fit correctly can be purchased?
                      Ron
                      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                      1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I bought it over the bay, in UK; price was fair and shipping reasonably fast;
                        just search for old-school covers before closing, ask for a pic of the bottom.

I think is not fair to expect from a layman, to realize in advance, the work to be undertaken nor I think them made it stand out...
                        But, you leave and learn...

I might stand correctet but, I do not think you will ever find a drop-in replacement for your bike. Why?
                        suppose either you or the PO skimmed the foam or it just lost the original aplomb, then your newly purchased cover, would surely, look "distressed" and just fall off the hooks, making it difficult for them, to define what's standard for a given model.

It's more a case, of them, aiming their products, at upholsterers or people in the trade somehow.

Just my two stitches...
                        Last edited by Lorenzo; 12-15-2016, 05:14 AM.
                        GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          You KNOW she deserves a ride now, don't you?

It may not be as impossible as you think. I took my mother for her first ride ever just a few days before her 85th birthday.

You know Steve, the more I look at this picture, the more I see the love of a Ma for her son..
                          GS1000G '81

Comment

The Ma needs to go into business for herself. Well done!
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

She says thanks to all of you and to the ones which will post hereafter!

May I ask who is in the condition to do so, details of the trim which goes along the lower part of the seat, i.e. height, thickness, fastening method and material is made of?

Thanks

This
                              Peter Wood
                              february 2015 B.O.T.M.
                              Last edited by Lorenzo; 12-16-2016, 12:25 AM.
                              GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
                              X