Gs1100l fueltank on a gs850l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100l fueltank on a gs850l

Would a fuel tank from an 1100 fit an 850?

Does anyone know?

Comment

From experience, the tank from my 83 GS1100G did not fit directly onto my 81 GS850G. The C notches on the tanks were off slightly and the way the tank bolts to the frame were different. 1100G has 2 bolt holes that are kind of horizontal. The 850G tank uses 1 bolt that is more perpendicular. With some work to frame/tank, it would work, I guess. But I don't know if the L tanks are different.

Comment

If the 1100 tank is an '82 or '83 it will fit.
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
          Would a fuel tank from an 1100 fit an 850?
          We have to combine information from several sources here.
          - Your subject line mentions 1100L and 850L
          - Your question only asks about 1100 and 850
          - Your signature mentions you have an '83 850L

Combining all that, if the 1100 tank is, indeed, from an 1100GL, yes, it will fit.

I have to specify the GL because there was an '80 GS1100L that was chain-driven, its tank would NOT fit on your 850L.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. I'm looking to increase fuel capacity.

Comment

If they're both "L" tanks you will not increase capacity. If the 1100 is not an "L" tank it won't fit.
              Alan

sigpic
              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
                Okay, thanks guys. I'm looking to increase fuel capacity.
                Originally posted by AMK View Post
                If they're both "L" tanks you will not increase capacity. If the 1100 is not an "L" tank it won't fit.
                Very true. The only difference between the '82/'83 850L tank and the '82/'83 1100L tank is PAINT.
                The fuel capacity is the same, at 4.5 gallons.

Just like the 850 and 1000 shafties for '80/'81, the frames, tanks, side covers, seat, gauges, lights, handlebars, wheels, tires, ... well, let's just say that almost everything except the engine and driveshaft are the same. Yes, even the final drive is the same, just the shaft between the engine and the final drive is different.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well, crap the bed. What are my options for inceased fuel capacity? The 1100E tank an option? 4.5 gallons must be for the g models, because mine only holds a bit around 3 gallons.

Comment

If you have a stock '83 GS850GL fuel tank, it holds 4.5 gallons. My wife has an '82 version of the same bike and that is the same tank.

If you fill the tank and run it until you have to move the petcock to REServe, then fill it right away, you will put in about 3.4 gallons, but the overall tank, including REServe, is 4.5 gallons.

Yes, it limits range a bit, but we don't have to switch to REServe until about 140-150 miles, and that is 2 1/2 to 3 hours on a local ride. About that time, we are looking to get off and take a break anyway.

If you REALLY want to add another gallon of capacity, be prepared for some work. First, you will have to relocate the rubber-padded mounts on the frame, just behind the steering stem. Then you need to remove the entire fork assembly and replace it with the triple clamps, fork tubes, calipers and fender from a non-L model. If you don't do that, you will have some really nice "custom" dents in the front of your tank that will reduce its capacity by several ounces.

That is a lot of time, money and work involved just to add another hour of riding time between fuel stops.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X