Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tail tidy/fender eliminator on 1100e?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has done this on an 1100 or other? Pics?
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

I've eliminated the rear fender on my 1978 1000. Not sure if you would need to do more than remove the rear plastic fender, fab a filler piece an make a tag bracket. It will depend on what the turnsignals are mounted to. I can check later when I get home. I can't post the pic right now, but if you look in my profile you can a see a pic of my '78 1000.
    Last edited by gsrick; 07-03-2017, 03:20 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I've always thought that bike looked clean to begin with. I just narrowed the signal stalks on mine. A friend had one that the PO just sawed off the fender flush.
      I think you may be on your own as far as an integrated taillight. The signals mount to metal brackets hung from from the end of the frame rail if I recall.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm not actually thinking of doing it, just thinkin, ya know? I replaced my turn sigs with some ebay cheapies, don't really like them, but they do reduce the impression of WIDENESS, esp in dat azz. Rick, LOVE the spokes on your 1000..
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          The signals mount to metal brackets hung from from the end of the frame rail if I recall.
          That is correct. I think all the lighting attaches to the sub frame, nothing on the plastic fender. I think OP would have to cut the lower portion of the fender off, it is all one piece from well forward under the seat to the back.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Don't know if this helps or not but, I replaced my turn signals with some smaller ones and it reduced the impression of the "wideness."

If you take a look at my photo albums, you can get a better idea of how it looks as a final product.
            Something else to consider, if you cut or remove the fender, where and how would you mount he license plate?
            I must admit, I never thought about removing or cutting the rear fender on mine but, now that you have brought it up, I am beginning to get curious about it and how it might look.
            If you do decide to do it, please post pictures because who knows, I might decide to do the same thing.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Agreed that the small / shortened signals lighten the visual impact of the back end.
              A stock 1150 as mine was personifies wide load. My fender got cut back significantly and I used metal clips to fasten the plate to the "new" fender edge.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

yeah, not going to do anything this season, for sure. I might try to pick up a spare tail cowl and do some experimentation. By my eye, if you eliminate the fender the tail should be shortened a bit, too, to get the proportions right. Whatever I did, it would be a "bolt on" mod, no cutting of stock parts or anything that couldn't be put back to stock. So far the only PERMANENT changes I have done to this bike is the head work. Well, and the holes in the damper tubes for the emulators. anyhoo, thanks for the input/pics!
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

82 Katana signals are shorter and if you use tail light tint they don't stick out like a sore thumb. After market copies are available. I tinted my ZRX and it turned out fine, can be removed if you change your mind and yes, they can be seen just fine. I rode behind it. I wont cut my GS fender, cause imo they look pretty nice, but if you scotch tape it up and use a string and magic marker like a compass, you can visualize what it may look like when cut. I touched up the ZRX like this and a little bit made it look lots nicer, but still looked fairly stock.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

You all do realize that your stylistic machinations are in direct conflict with the purpose of the tail and signal lights?
                    They are meant to be seen and each jurisdiction has laws regarding the height above ground, seperation in width and intensity of light.
                    But go ahead make changes its your funeral.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

heh, you think anyone sees the signals anyway? good luck with that.
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Last time I took my bike in for the annual safety inspection, one of my turn signals had a problem. I was told that if the turn signals are on the bike they have to work but, if they are not on the bike, no problem. I asked for clarification and was told that in the State of Texas, for motorcycles, you do not need turn signals installed but if they are installed, they must work. The only thing required is a headlight, a tail/license plate light and a brake light, that's all that is required for lights on motorcycles.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                        X