Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clip on handle bars, Suzuki Gs450 L? Size diameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clip on handle bars, Suzuki Gs450 L? Size diameter?

I want to add some clip on I think. I found they are more comfortable than the stock ones. Anyone have this in their bike? Like it? Pictures? Anyone happen to know the diameter i should get? I'm also looking for fork seals and dust covers. All revolving around this diameter thing. I think it might be 33mm? I've Google all around, checked ebay, Amazon, bikebandit, spec sheets. Short from going to the bike with a ruler or socket, I'm not sure how to find this diameter. I'm not at home right now. But I want to order the parts.

1981 Suzuki GS450 L

Are there any pros and cons to clip ons? I'm still pretty new to motorcycles.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2017, 01:54 PM.

Probably 35mm.

Be aware that they are not simply "plug and play", you will need to to other modifications, too.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
      Probably 35mm.

Be aware that they are not simply "plug and play", you will need to to other modifications, too.
      Like what? They dont just bolt on to the top of the fork tubes?
      Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

33mm. Do the fork tubes stick up above the top of the top triple clamp? Enough to mount the clip-ons to? They may also hit the tank at full lock.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
          33mm. Do the fork tubes stick up above the top of the top triple clamp? Enough to mount the clip-ons to? They may also hit the tank at full lock.
          Here are some pictures of the bike i took last night after polishing it up. I do not think they stick up like you are describing. They is just a nut at the top for the tubes them self. There are two clamps in front of the gauges holding the current handle bars in.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like tinkerscustom.

looks almost identical to this bike.
          Capture.jpg
          Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

People mount them either above or below the top triple clamp. You cannot mount them below unless you also get new headlight ears so you would have to slide your forks up through the triples which will affect your rake and therefore handling.
            Also if your bike has the stock cruiser bars all your current cables are going to be WAY too long.

I used these for my GS450: https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...a-gaiters.html
            You can see a picture via my signature link to see how they look.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
              People mount them either above or below the top triple clamp. You cannot mount them below unless you also get new headlight ears so you would have to slide your forks up through the triples which will affect your rake and therefore handling.
              Also if your bike has the stock cruiser bars all your current cables are going to be WAY too long.

I used these for my GS450: https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...a-gaiters.html
              You can see a picture via my signature link to see how they look.
              Woah, the leather side cover bags, where did you get those?! They are VERY cool!
              Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                People mount them either above or below the top triple clamp. You cannot mount them below unless you also get new headlight ears so you would have to slide your forks up through the triples which will affect your rake and therefore handling...
                And also possibly allow the fender to smash into the lower triple at full compression...
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
                  Like what? They dont just bolt on to the top of the fork tubes?
                  No, clip ons clamp directly to the fork tube. What you are describing are clubman bars, which simulate the grip position and angle of clip ons but mount in the stock bar clamps.

Clip ons:

Clubman bars:

Things to watch for are tank clearance, as RichDesmond notes (it is easy to end up pinching fingers against the tank near full lock) and control cables/hoses that are way too long after installation of the new bars.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    No, clip ons clamp directly to the fork tube. What you are describing are clubman bars, which simulate the grip position and angle of clip ons but mount in the stock bar clamps.

Clip ons:

Clubman bars:

Things to watch for are tank clearance, as RichDesmond notes (it is easy to end up pinching fingers against the tank near full lock) and control cables/hoses that are way too long after installation of the new bars.

Mark
                    The first picture is what I want. The picture I uploaded of the yellow bike was simply an answer to a question of how the forks sit. I bought the clips ons last night and some other goodies! Ill post some pictures when I get them on.

Comment

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
                      Woah, the leather side cover bags, where did you get those?! They are VERY cool!
                      Thanks I made them
                      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                      1977 GS550
                      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I want to update this thread on my results.

The Suzuki gs450 gets new handle bars, and a fork face-lift! https://imgur.com/gallery/kjD5M

Looking really good for an 36yr old motorcycle. https://imgur.com/gallery/svbkc

And I've started a YouTube series about the bike! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_2...6g0yJq0Ybh9Kjw
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2017, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X