No announcement yet.

who has used throw-over soft bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used them on my Interceptor, but didn't love them. These days, I use a Wolfman Expedition tail bag plus my tankbag.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
      These no-name leatherette vinyl throwovers were $50 delivered.

They each hold about a bag of groceries and a 15" Laptop.
      Where did you get them? I think that'd fit my needs just about perfectly.

Are the buckles on the flaps decorative, or is that actually how they're held closed? I prefer something that opens more quickly. (But for $50 I don't mind adding quick release latches myself.)

Comment

Amazon in 2013;

They have quick releases under the straps that even lock with useless plastic keys because you can unbuckle the straps.

If you search e-bay & amazon with 'Waterproof Motorcycle Saddlebags' there are some similar styled & priced items available.

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
          If you search e-bay & amazon with 'Waterproof Motorcycle Saddlebags' there are some similar styled & priced items available.
          Thanks! I think I know what my next purchase is going to be.

Comment

My old neighbor gave these to me, but I have since upgraded to rigid panniers.
            Attached Files

Comment

100_2839.jpg been using soft bags for about 20 years now and it's bout time to get a new set. These are Givi expandable s. You can mount them under the seat or throw them over as I have here.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I have a set of Cortec bags and I to had problems with them rubbing on the shocks and getting close to the rest of the works of the wheel and brakes. I installed some rods, shown here, connecting the rack to the top shock mounts to resolve this. I've seen other people fabricate something similar devices out of aluminum flat stock, bolted together to keep the bags off the shocks. Hope you can spot what I have made in this small picture.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

I have a set of Cortec bags and I to had problems with them rubbing on the shocks and getting close to the rest of the works of the wheel and brakes. I installed some rods, shown here, connecting the rack to the top shock mounts to resolve this. I've seen other people fabricate something similar devices out of aluminum flat stock, bolted together to keep the bags off the shocks. Hope you can spot what I have made in this small picture.
                  LOL. Kind of like this? Ugly, but effective.

by soates50, on Flickr
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Here is a thread about my solution to the saddlebag issue - (hard bags)

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...re-1983GS850GL
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I have a set that will work that are pre-formed (don't lose shape when empty) if you want to take a look at them..... They can go cheap. PM me an email address if you want pics.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I bought some shiny new Nelson Rigg 855s.. seem to fit over seat fine and fit a bag o' groceries per side. Hoped to under-seat them, but they Reeeeally wanna sit down on the exhaust then, even with the straps shortened up considerable. Thanks everyone for advice.. (and Salty Monk for the used option.. I hit buy too soon!) Long term, a rear rack with a tail bag may be the best thing, but it's the first GS I've had without one and it just looks so nice without anything on the tail...
                        Robin Elwood
                        1980 GS 850T
                        My kids wish I had a sidecar. But I don't.
                        ~
                        Previous:
                        '79 GS 850 GN
                        '79 Kawasaki KZ400
                        '83 GS 650L

Comment

I switched to hard bags years ago and really like them. But considering the uses of my old GS1000 I opted to just use soft bags. I picked up a set of 20 dollar Stansport Saddlebags from Amazon and did a low tech ziptie install. They dont' hold a lot but if I combine it with a tankbag turned tail bag I can carry enough stuff to go on overnighters or multi-day camp trips pretty easily. Now just to see how these "saddlebags" hold up over time. I think they fit the "look" of the bike well espeically compared to the newer manuf top bag. I need to dig around in a surplus store and see what I can come up with for a more canvas looking tail pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Don't have any "soft" bags, but the wife had some leather bags on her bike. They were a "throw-over" style, but I had anchored them under the seat, so they were pretty much permanent. Still had some problems, even though they were anchored. The anchoring was only under the seat, and anything with a bit of weight (a gallon of milk) would tug the bags to one side enough so it would rest on the muffler. To make matters worse, I installed a turn signal relocation kit (moved them to the license plate area) and moved the bags a few inches farther rearward. That gave room for a passenger to use the footpegs, but the bags were now behind the shocks, and that allowed them to swing in, toward the tire. I fabricated some supports that kept the bags away from the tire, and also went under the bags to keep them off the pipes. Keep that in mind when you load your bags.

All of that sounds familiar. I used expandable Oxford bags on the Bandit for several years and had similar experiences, but they were never a real problem. Mine were fastened under the seat and against the frame, so they stayed in place at any speed.

Loved having the convenience of expandable bags when things were bulky. I have hard bags on the GSX1250 today, and miss that part.
                            "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                            Winston Churchill

Comment

IMG_1196.jpg
                              Nelson Rigg bags, plus tank bag, plus a week's worth of camping gear for my 2700 mile cross-country trip. Worked great!

Comment

Originally posted by StratJeff View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]53218[/ATTACH]
                                Nelson Rigg bags, plus tank bag, plus a week's worth of camping gear for my 2700 mile cross-country trip. Worked great!
                                Nice set up Jeff. I have the same bags as you have. They worked great for me on my summer adventure. The right side was used for my cooler, quart of oil, cleaning supplies. The left had a box of spair parts, first aid kit, cold weather riding gear (never used). The rear bag stored tools, shoes, dirty laundry. The suitcase on the passenger seat is my clothes. I don't use a tank bag, the Nelson Rigg bags have a elastic pouch, I could just reach down to grab a water or a slim-jim. 👍
                                Attached Files
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X