Opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions wanted

I know everyone has a different flavor ice cream they like but .. I have a non conundrum I would like opinions on. I bought the bike and it came with a rack, box and sissy bar. You will notice its going on a tow .. Thank you again GS forum for helping me to get it operational. This was the day I bought it.

The box left immediately .. I mean its at least 1/3 the size of the bike.

So while I dont like sissy bars my wife was pretty stoked that I got a bike that had one included so I left it on.

But it wore on my nerves and I eventually removed it

Alright feeling much better but the luggage rack is chipping and rusting in spots and while it was very very useful it needs paint or something or ... maybe it just needs to go away.

So off it came today. I have to say .. I like the look without the rack but the rack has been useful. It weighs a ton but I ride like an old man ... because Im old.

SOoooooooo What do you think .. dont try and think what I think .. just your open and honest opinion ..

Leave the rack off

Have someone powder coat it Black

or

Have someone Chrome plate it??

I kinda maybe think if it were chrome plated I could live with it and it might look ok and be durable .. but .. the bike sure looks nice without a rack ??

So what say you?
    Alex

Leave the rack off.
    1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
    2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

I'll admit I love the look of a clean stock classic GS without fairings, racks, bags etc. The fact of the matter is for me that it becomes less of a useful vehicle. I compromise fashion for function. Often times I'll look at my 850 and want to pull all of that stuff off, but it's so useful! I've hauled all sorts of things on that rear rack.

If it's simply looks you're then heck yeah, leave it off. The firs time your wife sends you a text asking to grab a gallon of milk on your way home you may reconsider having it though.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Alex,

Certainly a sharp looking E there in it's stock setup.
        Yah, that trunk looked out-of-place on that bike.

Perhaps that should be your vintage stock bike .... and you need another bike that is more of a long distance traveling setup. har har har

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Leave it bare. GREAT looking bike!
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Opinions? Here?..... your bike looks best sans rack, BUT if having it allows you to take the bike for small packages instead of the car, the visual trade off is worth it. Plus you can’t see it while riding. Long ago I found a way to quickly strap on one of my saddle bags to the seat. Good for a quick jaunt out for small things. If you keep the rack, I think black is better, but I’m a minimal chrome kind of guy.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Me personally, I prefer the way it looks bare however, as Roger said, the rack and backrest come in very handy at times so, I think that because they were with the bike when it came along, I would have it chromed and reinstall it. The only thing that would not go back on is the box, that thing would be donated or given to someone here who wanted it.

By the way, really good looking bike you got there.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Same from me. Bare bike looks best but just isn't very functional for daily chores. I am dealing with the same thing with my GS. Only way I have of carrying anything is in the tank bag. It works but has it's limits.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

It killed me to put a rack on my E. But I didn't feel comfortable with a passenger on back without it. I also found a sporty Eclipse soft pack that matched my side bags. It really comes in handy for hauling small stuff and a lot more streamline than the side bags. Id show you a pic but I have not gotten past the photobucket melt down.....
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

bungie a orange crate on it or remove it.

Comment

Bye.
                      ....and take that brace/mount with you !

Comment

If it was MY bike, I would take off the trunk, leave the rack and back rest, then paint it to get rid of the red. It looks OK on YOUR bike, but no red for me.

That trunk looked very functional, but was not very pleasing to the eye. The rack and backrest, though, are worth their weight in gold for passenger and cargo carrying. How much do you value your wife's companionship on a ride? Without the backrest, she may not want to go with you as much. (Maybe that's your goal? ) The rack is just too functional to get rid of it. And personally, I would not consider that backrest a "sissy bar". It is just a nice, low backrest. A "sissy bar" goes up over twice as high as that one, and is usually more pointed at the top.

That's my opinion, but you asked for it.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with Steve...keep the rack and mini backrest...so you're wife can enjoy rides...but 86 the trunk, it is an eye sore.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I mean how hard is it to remove and install? I like it with out, but i like the functionality of it too... i have one for my 1000g i may install from time to time like when traveling and such
                            I build Pipers

Comment

What i was getting at is, install when needed
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                              X