Dressing up the black plastic bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dressing up the black plastic bits

I have begun looking at dressing things up on my gs and while i have had to make some concessions due to parts availability I do want to keep it mostly stock looking.

I am wondering what some of you detail guys have used on the black plastic. Specifically I would like to dress up the turn signal stems, headlight bucket and rear fender. The turn singnal stems are in need of the most help. They arent bleached out but you can see the surface is a bit worn. I thought about Armourall but recall hearing that it can have some negative effects. So if you addressed this issue .. what did you use? I am considering just the same paste wax I use on the tank?

Alex

I use Meguires "Back to Black" plastic restorer. Works great even on plastics that are not black. Just be ready to spend some time on it, lots of coats over a few days.....or weeks!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
      I use Meguires "Back to Black" plastic restorer. Works great even on plastics that are not black. Just be ready to spend some time on it, lots of coats over a few days.....or weeks!
      We use this at my work to make the plastics look like new, probably the same thing.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You could also scuff them up with a Scotch Brite pad and spray them with a black satin plastic paint. 3M makes a great product specifically for the job.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

You should give a heat gun a try.

Comment

+1 for the heat gun. Be careful on thin / small plastics as you can easily overheat them and the surfaces can bubble and blister.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
              Mother’s also makes “Back to Black.” I just started using it. Works great.
              sigpic
              1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
              1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
              1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
              On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
              All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I use the Back to Black with 0000 steel wool.
                Doesn't last forever but the occasional touch-up is no big deal.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  I use the Back to Black with 0000 steel wool.
                  Doesn't last forever but the occasional touch-up is no big deal.
                  Thank you so much everyone for your ideas. Steve are you polishing fist with the 000 or are you treating it like a stain project and using the 000 in between applications of the goop?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    You should give a heat gun a try.

I watched a friend bring back the plastic bodywork on his atv. I was amazed at how it worked. That was on colored plastic, not black.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Simoniz also makes a similar plastic restorer and is slightly cheaper. Works great! Kind of a miracle and less destructive than all the other polishing, rubbing,sanding methods I tried. Lasts very well in my climate.

I never went to the heat-gun thing as it seemed it must get so hot as to gas-off the solvents in plastic which would make it brittle.

Comment

I've used the Back to Black type products for years and like how they work. Initialy you will need several applications over a period of time and just the odd application to maintain appearance. It even renewed my old original crusty carb boots 15 years ago. I just set them on the work bench assembled with the carbs and over a few month period just gave them a squirt fairly often as I walked by them and they ended up basically perfect. Once a year I give them another application and they're a still nice and pliable. Great product.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                          Thank you so much everyone for your ideas. Steve are you polishing fist with the 000 or are you treating it like a stain project and using the 000 in between applications of the goop?
                          I am just using the steel wool as the applique.
                          The theory is that the tiny bit of abrasiveness provided by the wool "scuffs" the surface enough for the liquid to be slightly absorbed.
                          There is a small amount of residue but a wipe/buff with a cloth takes care of it.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I was mistaken.....It is Mothers Back to Black! Works great!
                            Ron
                            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Working...
                            X