black engine paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black engine paint

I'm looking to re-paint the black engine on my 83 750E. Any suggestions on paint? I guess stock is more of a satin than a matte. Also, what is a good clear for the side case covers?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

I was not trying to match anything when I painted our engines, I just wanted "black and chrome".

Available in most auto parts stores in satin or gloss finish, about $8 per can. One or two cans can easily do an engine.

WARNING!!! Read the directions CAREFULLY. I discovered (the hard way) what happens when you don't.

It is suggested to use a couple of light coats, followed by a heavy coat. Wait about 10 minutes between coats, all coats should be applied within an hour. Additional coats can be applied, but all must be within the hour. After that, any additional coats can be applied AFTER 7 DAYS.

I had never bothered to read that last part. About two days after painting, I noticed some light spots, so added a little more paint. Instant wrinkle finish. Had to wait a bit for it to set up, then applied some stripper, cleaned it off and started over.

Not exactly "factory original" finish, but we like them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve I have a question. Say you use the primer first then let it sit for a night, I did the correct 3 layers with the proper wait time in between. Should I wait the full seven days before adding the color or would I be okay

Comment

Working...
      X