Where to get paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get paint

I have been looking at the PEL code Chrysler red for a red 1982 GS1100. The color looks like an exact match, but the PEL code paint has some metallic in it. I am looking for a good source for enough paint to spray the whole bike. Does anyone have a good source for this color of paint.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Have you called your local automotive paint stores? I'm not talking auto parts or the big box hardware stores but an actual paint store in town?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I agree totally with Cowboy. If you live in an area that is large enough, you will have a paint supply store. If no paint store in your area, then go to the nearest city of size that would have one.

Google is your friend with the nearest location.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

The paint you're looking for is exactly the same as the 2010 Dodge Ram truck which has a color called Inferno Red Crystal Pearl. I had to paint new side covers and a fairing. After a very exhaustive search I found out that the color was painted onto the Dodge Ram, it's also the same on the Charger.
        As can be seen in the first picture, this is the original side cover placed against the Dodge Ram, note the GS1100 writing and the spacing between the S and the 1.
        The second picture shows the truck I was looking at. The third picture shows the color Inferno Red Crystal Pearl. The fourth picture shows the paint code PRH.
        The fifth picture shows the newly painted side cover mounted on the bike, notice the GS 1100E on the side cover, this is the only way that you can tell that these side covers are not original and have been repainted, notice the spacing between the S and the 1, it is about twice the spacing as the original, only someone who really knows the bike will catch it. The other thing to notice about it is that the GS1100E is actually painted on and is not a sticker like the original same goes for the black stripes on the leading edge of the side covers.
        The last two pictures just show the end result with both side covers painted and the fairing too.

A few years ago when I first went through this, I posted a big thread detailing everything I could about it but, unfortunately, I think it has gone into the digital abyss.

I decided to add a couple more pictures at the very end. The helmet picture shows a helmet that I took apart and painted it to match with the same paint, the other picture, I took last year and as can be seen, the paint still is excellent and matching 8 1/2 years later.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

By the way, when I was looking for the paint, I received all kinds of suggestions to go to paint supply stores, or to auto body repair shops, etc. None of it worked. I went to all kinds of places and no-one could find the paint because the paint color was outlawed by the state of California because there were a couple pigments in the paint that California had determined to be bad so, that went out the window.
          It was also suggested that I contact House of Color which matches automotive paint. At the time they had two offices, one on the East Coast and the other on the West Coast. At that same time I just happened to be in Palmdale California where the West Coast office was so, I did a face to face visit with them. Talking to them I found out that in order to match the color they would scan through their paint swatches and pick out the ones that they felt closely matched what I had then, actually paint larger plates with those colors and do a visual match and pick out the one that they felt most closely resembled my original but they would not guarantee a perfect match. It was obvious that this was gonna cost me money to get something that I most likely wouldn't be pleased with because I would have to settle for close. I told them that if all they were gonna do is do a side by side visual comparrison then, why should I spend money on something I can easily do by simply going to the largest car dealership in my area that sell multiple makers and models and that's exactly what I did.
          I'm not saying that the suggestions that I received were bad or not worth it, to the contrary, the suggestions were great because it gave me a great start and steered me in the right direction. I'm just saying that this is what worked for me and it might be worth your time to find a vehicle that also uses the Inferno Red Crystal Pearl paint and place your side cover to it to make sure it matches. I have two other '82 GS1100EZ's, one is the "Suzuki Gold" which is actually silver or gray, which ever you want to call it, the other is also Dark Candy Fancy Maroon BUT, they two red ones are different shades, even though they are both original paint and both are '82 models, the painted parts are not interchangeable because of the shade difference. I don't know why but, they are different.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that extra info out there.

I also think it's ironic that I am writing this and just so happen to be in Palmdale again right now as I'm writing this.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Good call wacky with the dodge paint. Did u see my post with the 2016 Ferd. Its a pretty close match too.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I saw that, definitely real close, I really like the truck too. Nice score!

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                Nice score!
                Ehhhh.... I traded in a Silverado that I had for 5 years and it fit me like a well worn pair of jeans. Still getting use to the F world. Its growing on me.

The more I look at it though it appears the 2016 Ford paint has a slight blue/purple in it that the EZ does not have. The ferd also has a bit more gold flake than the Bike.

Was yours painted base / clear or was gold laid down first, color, then clear ?
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Was yours painted base / clear or was gold laid down first, color, then clear ?
                  I wish I knew for sure but, as far as I can remember, it was base coat/clear coat. After I found the paint I needed, I bought it and handed it to a friend of mine that paints, he painted it for me. He is an absolute master at painting and that's not all, he is also the best sheetmetal man I've ever seen, when he builds something for our airplanes it looks like a piece of jewelry. The man has talent that I can only dream of.

He was also the one who painted the helmet and my toolbox, he also painted this for me:

My family crest.

Comment

Working...
                  X