the 5 foot special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 5 foot special

this bike looks great 5 feet away but upclose its covered in blemishes or scratches, some maybe not so upclose. anything i could do to minimize these? do i just keep cleaning and waxing

im not the one who did the scrapes all on the paint i wipe in circles and rinse before and after i use whatever cleaning product. also the big mark on the right side is from when the previous owner i didnt meet laid it down

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Cleaning and waxing will never remove scratches and blemishes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Cleaning and waxing will never remove scratches and blemishes.

well then its gonna stay the 5 foot special
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

I dunno..waxing won't do much, but you could probably take a little wet 1000 grit, then 2000 grit sand paper to the top of the tank and then hit with some rubbing compound with a buffer. It will look way better. You could also take some gold and black pinstripe tape and replace the majority of what's missing on the right side. Something can always be made to look better..maybe not perfect..but certainly better.
        Last edited by nvr2old; 12-19-2019, 09:06 PM.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Looks like the clear has had it to me.... Carefully rub back, repair the pinstripe & hit it with some Spraymax 2k would likely work...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

^^ yes... if your chrome and the rest is good, salty_monks approach be worth a try in my opinion.

But! you might just cover it up with a tankbag or a "bra" too if it bothers you.

Comment

Another option. Clear coat was REALLY bad on my T when I bought it. Had an old crappy leather jacket hanging around. Cut it to shape, coated the back with 3M spray glue... Did the job until I got a chance to paint the whole bike.

'83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

When I paint I always make sure have 5-6 coats of clear, then those scratches buff right out with polishing compound.
                1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

edit:double post
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by wyly; 12-25-2019, 02:58 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                    this bike looks great 5 feet away but upclose its covered in blemishes or scratches, some maybe not so upclose. anything i could do to minimize these? do i just keep cleaning and waxing

im not the one who did the scrapes all on the paint i wipe in circles and rinse before and after i use whatever cleaning product. also the big mark on the right side is from when the previous owner i didnt meet laid it down
                    It may not make financial sense to pay to have it professionally restored but if you're up to the challenge you could learn to do it yourself for about $300. Paint shouldn't be a difficult match and the decals can probably still be reproduced. I went to auto body shop supplier and they put my colour choice in rattle cans, colour wasn't factory but I added the oem decals to look period correct. This pic was before clear coat and after.
                    .DSC_0145.jpg20170409_121948_resized.jpg
                    Last edited by wyly; 12-25-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=wyly;2577542]It may not make financial sense to pay to have it professionally restored but if you're up to the challenge you could learn to do it yourself for about $300. Paint shouldn't be a difficult match and the decals can probably still be reproduced. I went to auto body shop supplier and they put my colour choice in rattle cans, colour wasn't factory but I added the oem decals to look period correct. This pic was before clear coat and after.

ill probably leave it be for now seeing if i can make any small repairs on it. i dont mind the look too much i think it adds some character and its a survivor its gonna have some marks.

i did want to repaint if i keep this bike for a long time and know ill keep on riding it, but i want to do black/ emerald green with the gold pinstripes. if i restore it with its original colours itll still look nice but i wouldnt say this bike is a part of history so its not something i plan on doing
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                        ..., but i want to do black/ emerald green with the gold pinstripes.
                        If Photobucket hadn't taken a dump, I could post pictures of exactly what that would look like. I will have to send them to you via e-mail.

Yep, it's an '82 650L, done in black and green, with gold stripes.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If Photobucket hadn't taken a dump, I could post pictures of exactly what that would look like. I will have to send them to you via e-mail.

Yep, it's an '82 650L, done in black and green, with gold stripes.

awesome cant wait to see!
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Check your e-mail. They were sent 4 1/2 hours before your "can't wait to see" message.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

That's not fair, we want to see the black/green also. There are pictures here everywhere, if you can't figure out how, find a kid (youngster) they can figure do it. I WANT PICTURES!!!
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X