Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Engine clear coat to clearcoat the tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Engine clear coat to clearcoat the tank?

Anyone done this with krylon engine paint ceramic-based clearcoat? i'm trying to find a way to do the tank so that it'll be fuel resistant, and still look okay (the tank had nasty laquer checking before, so anyhting's better, really)

thanks

You can buy regular clearcoat in a spray can. I believe Dupont makes it. They sell it at Walmart. It won't be the best going over your old paint. I'm not sure of the composition, but most base/clear paints are urethane (I think that's the right word). You usually have about a one week window after painting the base coat before you have to spray the clear coat. Otherwise, it won't adhere well. You can try it anyway if you're not too concerned about the paint job on it now. Also if it has an acrylic enamel paint job, or laquer base paint then the clear coat is not a good idea. They're not designed to go together. If it's laquer, you might be able to get laquer clear, but not likely in a spray can. If you do decide to do it, clean it VERY well first. Use something to get any wax off. Probably wax and grease remover will do, but test it first to make sure it won't mess up the finish. I'm not sure about the engine clear coat. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X