No announcement yet.

the mockup, opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread title says "Opinions". That green looks good on the Kawa. sport bikes, I have a Kaw. ZRX that color & like it just fine. My opinion, Your picture of the orig., even not in pristine condition looks way better than the green & black. Also you've mentioned the upgrades you are considering. All that will not make your bike a "sport" bike, it always was & always will be what we called a "Cruising for burger bike", or a "Disco Cruiser", nothing wrong with that just ain't a "sport" bike. Like I've recommended before, keep this bike nice & use the money you've planned for upgrades, that will probably make your bike worth less, to find a nice or project "sport" bike. But for goodness sake don't paint that thing Kawa. green, just doesn't work, at all, with that bike.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'm more of a stock type guy too. However if the paint truly needs redoing I am on board with the bright green actually. It's nothing that couldn't be redone back to stock later if you didn't care for it.
      Maybe it's just because I never cared for that lazy-boy style bike when they were new.
      Last edited by Big Block; 01-28-2022, 12:42 PM.
      1986 1150EF
      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Not crazy about it, but then again I'm not riding it. Personally I'd rather see a bit of tired original paint, but I'm not particularly concerned with perfection.

I do dig black wheels though.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You can probably source a tank and panels cheaply enough. any junkyards near by? try c list and get a non runner if you can and cannibalize for these and other parts.
          Do that paint like a mad man and treat those bits like weekend clothes and the original as sunday go to meeting.
          Somewhere there's a guy whose never seen this forum who sadly covets an original tank and panels like you have.

Its OK to cheat on your mistress but never your wife.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

please dont ruin such a beautiful shade of blue with such an ugly color of green
            1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Pretty brave asking color opinions on an internet forum! If it needs to be redone, have fun. I think quality work is going to be more important than the particular color.

Comment

Ian, I don't think I've ever seen your bike in it's entirety. Looks real nice, more like a "T" than an "L"

Maybe look into a vinyl wrap instead of paint. You can peel that wrap off later if you want to change it up again.

Last edited by Burque73; 01-29-2022, 04:09 PM.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I don't have a problem with the color change but I would suggest some black pinstriping. I think it would make a big difference in impression.

I did something very similar with an 850 over twenty years ago only in yellow. I deliberately omitted any badging or striping for effect. But I still have those parts and if I ever put them back on I will definitely add black striping first. It just sort of finishes the picture.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                  80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I love yellow motorcycles....Always wanted to paint my 1100E yellow.
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I love blue, and that particular two tone color is my favorite of the GS colors. In the pictures you posted, it looks to be in great shape. I agree with those who say you can always repaint it original colors again if you want, but once you paint the side covers they're ruined in my opinion. I'd leave it how it is if it were mine.
                      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

thanks everyone for the opinions and also the ones who like how the bike looks, i dont know if i can bring myself to do it lol, not because i dont think i can but because when i walk towards the bike i just think if it was painted different it wouldnt have the same effect at all, i might try to find a tank in great shape and some fairings as one fairing is sun damaged, another is cracked and has to be ziptied because the mount broke, and the tank is scuffed all over aswell as small dents on the top, if i could find a way to undent it id be alot more satisfied.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

i need to get a bike that is cosmetically messed up so i can have something to actually improve, been looking for old plastic bikes lately as most of the ujm bikes i see are either very nice and original or a good project for what i want to do but no title.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

I like Cipher's idea, find a tank & side covers, paint them, & you still got the OEM stuff, Win/Win. I'm sure the parts from other size & model GS "L"'s should fit, I just don't know which ones
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

its just hard to find a good set, honestly when i compare mine to others on ebay mine seem to be around the same condition except for a few, but all of them are still scratched up so id be back at stage 1, i think im just gonna leave it and find another bike to completely redo, i still plan on rebuilding this motor and doing the bore kit.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                                I'm sure the parts from other size & model GS "L"'s should fit, I just don't know which ones
                                Sorry to disappoint, but the 650L body panels are rather unique.

Comment

Working...
                                X