X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer color?

Hey everyone,
    Kind of a weird question, but let's see what the consensus is:

I picked up an aerosol can of custom-mixed red micro-flake spray from a local automotive paint shop.

The guy who runs the place told me about an old school trick local cholos would do when customizing their cars, involving painting a checker pattern using black and white primers, then subsequently going over the whole pattern with the main color paint, and then clearcoat. It apparently imparts a subtle change in the paint color.
    Fella goes on to suggest that my red flake would look really good over a black primer, but I have trouble believing that. Wouldn't the red over black result in a muddy brown, vs the white primer?

What are your thoughts, or anecdotes?
    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

There's certainly a lot of truth about the undercoat affecting the final colour. Sometimes, the instructions specify which primer to use.

Comment

This seems almost a trick question. There are sooo many different types of paint & applications, some the primer will make a huge difference while with others there will be absolutely no difference...Just my opinion.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by free99 View Post
        Hey everyone,
        Kind of a weird question, but let's see what the consensus is:

I picked up an aerosol can of custom-mixed red micro-flake spray from a local automotive paint shop.

The guy who runs the place told me about an old school trick local cholos would do when customizing their cars, involving painting a checker pattern using black and white primers, then subsequently going over the whole pattern with the main color paint, and then clearcoat. It apparently imparts a subtle change in the paint color.
        Fella goes on to suggest that my red flake would look really good over a black primer, but I have trouble believing that. Wouldn't the red over black result in a muddy brown, vs the white primer?

What are your thoughts, or anecdotes?
        Youtube and consult the manu of your paint
        Candy apple red uses the multi layer technique.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Red is a transparent paint, so the primer shade makes a big difference.
          Choose the primer for the final brightness, rust red primer will give a dark red, middle gray or light gray is safe, white will be the brightest.
          You could also try an undercoat of silver, gold or yellow if you feel creative.
          Test a couple primers first before you commit.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-13-2022, 04:24 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I think if it were me, I'd spray a light grey primer then spray a base coat of solid red as close to the micro-flake red color that's in the can. It'll take very few coats to cover that way, followed by the clear coats.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
              I think if it were me, I'd spray a light grey primer then spray a base coat of solid red as close to the micro-flake red color that's in the can. It'll take very few coats to cover that way, followed by the clear coats.
              You were spot-on with this advice, after a lot of experimentation, it wound up being the best path forward. Light grey filler-primer, several good coats of metallic, couple coats of clear. I'll post pics tomorrow once I get a picture of the tank in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                Red is a transparent paint, so the primer shade makes a big difference.
                Choose the primer for the final brightness, rust red primer will give a dark red, middle gray or light gray is safe, white will be the brightest.
                You could also try an undercoat of silver, gold or yellow if you feel creative.
                Test a couple primers first before you commit.
                Thanks for this advice, I found red over gold flake looked the nicest, but of course the local automotive place only had a single small can, and I needed two. Wound up going with light grey primer, came out pretty nicely. But, sage advice I'll earmark for the future when I paint the GS1000.

Comment

Just testing:

Comment

Working...
                  X