No announcement yet.

Custom GL Seat - De-humping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! It's impressive that you put that together without a pattern.

I wonder if anyone uses seam sealer (like for tents and tarps) on the underside of the stitching to keep water out? Not sure how that would be on the vinyl.
    Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
    1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
    2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by DrewGS View Post
      I wonder if anyone uses seam sealer (like for tents and tarps) on the underside of the stitching to keep water out? Not sure how that would be on the vinyl.
      That's what I was wondering about. In the '70's I had an uncle who ordered an expensive custom seat for his CB750 and the first thing he did was drench it with a garden hose. When the water got through the cover and soaked into the foam, he returned it and demanded they fix it. This went on for a awhile.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Quite honestly, I haven't thought about water and the wet butt issue until Rob S. mentioned it earlier. I have read where other people have used seam sealer or silicone on the underside of the seat stitching to seal them up. This won't work for most seats that have a stitched pattern because that pattern has 1/4" foam stitched to the cover. The foam is what gives the raised pattern to the seat. This means that any sealant must be applied to the top of the seat, so anything permanent would like look bad. I don't think water will negatively affect the seat, but wet butt...

Mustang seats recommends using a clear paste wax just to the threads to minimize water penetration.

I store the bike in the garage, and don't ride in the rain much. But that doesn't help other people figure out what to do. Seems the best bet is to cover the seat in the rain, although I don't know how that would be to ride with.
        81 GS650GL

Comment

Your picture above reminded me of something I've seen.....

2c9b2bbf112287921bc174f74638716b.jpg
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Too funny. I don't know what else to say...
            81 GS650GL

Comment

Looks like it may be a turdbo.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

image by Bob Wayne, on Flickr

Not a rare sight in some NY City neighborhoods. You can hardly make out her boyfriend.

I was wondering if her 'emanations' were photo shopped in. Just in case, nobody better light a match.

Is that what's called a tailwind?

Center of gravity slightly off.

She's showing a lot of possible road rash real estate. At least he's wearing long sleeves and socks.

Is that a big bore?

One of those seats definitely needs de-humping.

Okay, enough.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  Looks like it may be a turdbo.
                  Tres drole. But he'll need a turbo to keep up with his buddies riding one up.

Comment

Darn it Salty_Monk. I can't unsee that. I have been trying to figure out how to "fix" the seat, or if it's so funny I need to keep it as is. Thanks
                    81 GS650GL

Comment

Originally posted by adamdaz View Post
                      Darn it Salty_Monk. I can't unsee that. I have been trying to figure out how to "fix" the seat, or if it's so funny I need to keep it as is. Thanks
                      Sorry mate. It's just the angle of your photo that made it come to mind. It made me chuckle so I had to share.....

I'm impressed with your skills, I've tried doing some seat work myself & it's definitely not easy!
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Amazing how that picture got on a thread about a GS seat...Ya'll are nuttts.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by adamdaz View Post
                          Quite honestly, I haven't thought about water and the wet butt issue until Rob S. mentioned it earlier. I have read where other people have used seam sealer or silicone on the underside of the seat stitching to seal them up. This won't work for most seats that have a stitched pattern because that pattern has 1/4" foam stitched to the cover. The foam is what gives the raised pattern to the seat. This means that any sealant must be applied to the top of the seat, so anything permanent would like look bad. I don't think water will negatively affect the seat, but wet butt...

Mustang seats recommends using a clear paste wax just to the threads to minimize water penetration.
                          https://www.mustangseats.com/page/35...nd-accessories

I store the bike in the garage, and don't ride in the rain much. But that doesn't help other people figure out what to do. Seems the best bet is to cover the seat in the rain, although I don't know how that would be to ride with.
                          I wonder if one could wrap their seat foam in a contiguous sheet of plastic, like a thick vinyl or something, before putting the actual seat cover on. When I took the OEM cover off my seat, it kinda looked like there was a plastic bag bonded to the inside? It'd become a shredded mess up after 40 years, not surprised, but it wasn't very thick. Perhaps it could work?
                          1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
                          1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by free99 View Post

I wonder if one could wrap their seat foam in a contiguous sheet of plastic, like a thick vinyl or something, before putting the actual seat cover on. When I took the OEM cover off my seat, it kinda looked like there was a plastic bag bonded to the inside? It'd become a shredded mess up after 40 years, not surprised, but it wasn't very thick. Perhaps it could work?
                            I think the thin plastic is added to aid in putting the cover on. It helps the cover slip over the foam.
                            Thicker plastic may help waterproof the foam, so long as it isn't ripped when installing the cover. Good idea!
                            81 GS650GL

Comment

Working...
                            X