Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I polished all my cases and now they look like crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

salt

Sounds like salt vapour. By any chance is you garage close to the road or driveway where they've used salt.
    I work for theNS Dept of Trans, quite often in the winter when they bring a truck full of salt into the warm shop on a Friday afternoon, come Moday morning there's these soft fluffy looking growths all over it.
    Kind of nice looking actually as I don't own the truck....Mike

Comment

You guys crack me up.

Dom, take a picture of your corrosion issue and show us. We'll all learn a bit...

Comment

What kind of clear coat are you guys talking about? Standard paint clear coat.

Comment

clear paint is great. A step better is clear annodization. But that depends on the alloy of aluminum as to weather that is a really feasable idea.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Polish

What polish works best on the cast wheels on my '80 GS850G?? It sat outside for two years and they are white and crusty. Should I use metal polish with Dremal tool?? Can I use car wax over teh polished areas to keep it nice? :roll:

Comment

Re: Polish

Originally posted by shortlid
              What polish works best on the cast wheels on my '80 GS850G?? It sat outside for two years and they are white and crusty. Should I use metal polish with Dremal tool?? Can I use car wax over teh polished areas to keep it nice? :roll:
              I have had good luck with Blue Magic and Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Both claim to leave a protective film on the aluminum.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

$$$

Cool, I already have some Blue Magic. How did you apply it to heavy corrosion?

Comment

Re: $$$

You'll want to remove corrosion with steel wool or fine sandpaper. If the corrosion is bad you won't be able to get it all off but the polish will still make it look better.
                  IBA# 24077
                  '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                  '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

WD40.

When the humidity goes up, or if it's going to be sitting for awhile - a light misting of WD40 on all bare metal, chrome, rubber, plastic, etc. - ANYTHING that could oxidize - spray it down.

Don't just slather it all over your bike (messy), but spend a little time and coat the parts that matter. When you're ready to de-mothball the bike, simply wash as normal (soap and water), dry, and ride.

You should wax your paint before parking your bike for an extended time, too. Another alternative for your bare metal is waxing, but not buffing off the wax. Just apply and let it sit - wash the residue off with soap and water before you ride again.

And fix your damp shed!!!

-Q!

Comment

Any thoughts on chrome plating the stator & clutch covers?

Comment

Originally posted by BDLubell
                        Chroming is possible , but has longevity issues on aluminium.
                        Dink

Comment

Probably a better choice is to polish them to a chrome appearance and then clearcoat them with a multiple component automotive clearcoat.

Earl

Originally posted by BDLubell
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Can all this polishing be done ON the bike, as well as the clearcoating, or do you have to pull the engine to really do it right?

Comment

Blue Magic

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                              You'll want to remove corrosion with steel wool or fine sandpaper. If the corrosion is bad you won't be able to get it all off but the polish will still make it look better.
                              You are right Joe, Blue magic works great on Chrome pipes and suck that is in OK shape already,but does notthing for the engine cases and parts that are already corroded bad. Did not chage the wheels at all!! Do I need fine steel wool for the wheels and cam covers??

Comment

Here is a great "how to" on polishing

I just bought 3 cotton wheels and buffing sticks for $10 @ Sears.

Comment

Working...
                                X