Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust interchangeability

Hello again,

I was basically given a nice exhaust today, when I got home i realized it was for an 82 gs1100. Is there any chance of the head pipes fitting my 79 gs850? Worst case I’ll cut the mufflers off and weld them to my stock exhaust. Just got home and won’t have a chance to try fit up for a couple days. Thanks in advance!

79 GS850G cruising around western Maine

Not exactly sure but if the 1100 is a G, GK, or GL (G =shaft drive), that’s an 8 valve engine like the 850, you probably stand a better chance of the that exhaust fitting on your 850. If the 1100 is an E or ES model, that’s a 16 valve engine and I’d say the chances are slim that the headers will line up with the head on you 850. This is all just a guess, someone should chime in with a definitive answer, but give us the model of the 1100, is it shaft or chain drive?
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-28-2022, 11:01 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Rich, it is a chain drive 1100. I apologize for the noob question but truly appreciate the answer!
      79 GS850G cruising around western Maine

Comment

Originally posted by Jwhit89 View Post
        Rich, it is a chain drive 1100. I apologize for the noob question but truly appreciate the answer!
        Is it an "E"? That would make it a GS1100EZ (the 'Z' means 1982).
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Not sure about fitment, but if the 1100e exhaust is a stock system and in good shape, you may be able to resell it and put the cash to a proper system. Original exhaust systems are tough to find, especially for the high performance machines, as they often were quickly replaced.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
          X