1982 suzuki GS550 pours fuel no rev above 3500 falls on its face in 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 suzuki GS550 pours fuel no rev above 3500 falls on its face in 3rd

Purchased the bike from a goodwill auction. tank was thoroughly rusted, so i replaced the tank, petcock, lines, and took the carb apart for a basic clean with a can of carb clean. when i rebuilt everything, bike started up just fine but wouldn't rev. the bike then began pouring fuel out of what i assume are either overflow ports to the left and right of the main filler OR balancing ports and i need more tubing. i have a new rebuild kit for all 4 carbs. Beyond that, did i error? is there anything i need to know going into this? should i be directing attention elsewhere other than the carbs? and what are the 2 extra barbs that are dumping fuel? this is my first motorcycle and also my first carb experience, so im really lost.

Originally posted by cman9898 View Post
    Purchased the bike from a goodwill auction. tank was thoroughly rusted, so i replaced the tank, petcock, lines, and took the carb apart for a basic clean with a can of carb clean. when i rebuilt everything, bike started up just fine but wouldn't rev. the bike then began pouring fuel out of what i assume are either overflow ports to the left and right of the main filler OR balancing ports and i need more tubing. i have a new rebuild kit for all 4 carbs. Beyond that, did i error? is there anything i need to know going into this? should i be directing attention elsewhere other than the carbs? and what are the 2 extra barbs that are dumping fuel? this is my first motorcycle and also my first carb experience, so im really lost.
    More than likely, you need to clean the carbs properly. Go here for that -> https://www.thegsresources.com/carbclean.php

The rebuild kits for sale aren't needed, and most are junk.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Did the carb clean as detailed bike runs much better still feels choppy at throttle and stalls when I pull the clutch in but not when I feather the throttle down? Also have an oil leaking out of the rear wheel. I assume the whee is just a shot seal but the stalling? Clutch maybe?

Comment

Oil isn't supposed to be in the rear wheel on a 550. Who knows what a PO got up to, though.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Some Tangshan oil that looks around the rear hun and is splattered all over the rear and bottom of the air box. Could it be brake fluid? I know the reservoir is up front but not much past that

Comment

Cman, where in Dayton are you? I'm down in Miamisburg and could help you look it over if you want.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
            X