Please Help Jet my GS for Open Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Well, I guess I've been lucky, never a problem from a stock Suzuki coil. Have a set of Accell on my GS1100E that was there when I bought it, and wish it still had the OEM.,
    Maybe you have been lucky - I sure haven't. Perhaps certain years were a problem then the issue was remedied? He worked for Suzuki when the bikes were new and said they replaced them often only a few years after new - they would overheat and get dark goo on them or something?
    ~~o&o>
    ... from a free frame and wheels and box of parts to a rideable wreck is better than a slap in the belly with a dead salmon anyday eh

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Vent is sure something to check out, but really wouldn't think the tank not venting could cause a problem within 20 or 30 sec. Easy to check to know for sure.
      Definitely my first test!
      ~~o&o>
      ... from a free frame and wheels and box of parts to a rideable wreck is better than a slap in the belly with a dead salmon anyday eh

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
        If your "mechanic" wants to try a different "CDI", you need a new mechanic. That bike never had a CDI.

Also, be warned that there are some on the forum that will not give any support after you mention "open exhaust". They might mention how socially irresponsible it is, and then not give any further support, or they will just ignore any other requests you might have. I sort of agree with them about loud exhaust, but I will mention that with a stock airbox, you might not need to re-jet. Maybe one size up, maybe none at all.
        Hi, yes, I have been told by others that the exhaust won't affect the jetting much at all - also been told that the stock jetting was a little on the large side for richness
        ~~o&o>

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Eh View Post
          - also been told that the stock jetting was a little on the large side for richness
          Never heard of that. I’ve always read that, if anything, the stock jetting is undersized, causing a slightly lean condition.
          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-18-2023, 09:00 PM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yep, I'm with him ^^^^, that's what I've always heard, did it for EPA regs., everything was always jetted lean.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

All you need is a dynomometer. Find a REAL shop.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The only difference between Canadian jetting & US is the adjuster screw is not blocked off & the needles still have 4 slots in them to move the clip in my experience. Everything else is the same.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies! Sorry for my late response
                  So, ya, I found an old school mechanic who loves these old Suzukis. He said, as some of you have, that the original jetting would likely be fine and rich enough with the Rhinehart exhaust i put on the bike. We put the original jetting back on it was perfect. I had a great year on the bike!
                  Last edited by Canadian Eh; 01-28-2024, 11:17 PM.
                  ~~o&o>

Comment

Motorcycle Carburetor Jet Size Calculator. Automatically and instantly get a near perfect result for the correct main and pilot jets based on your bike modifications, aftermarket exhausts, pod filters, altitude, ambient temperature etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X