Stuck Stubborn Jets/Screws ... SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Stubborn Jets/Screws ... SUCCESS

I had great success today where I normally struggle removing stubborn jets/screws. I thought I'd share it with those out there that are trying to strip and rebuild a set of carbs. Maybe it will work for you too.

Over the past ten years I've overhauled about two dozen sets of GS carbs, maybe more. I often have come across a very stubborn/stuck jet/screw. The pilot jet and the air/fuel mixture screw are usually the worst especially if a previous owner has torqued on the jet slot head and bugger it up. I've used penetrating oil, my ultrasonic cleaner, a butane torch, easy outs, left twist drill bits etc to try to ease them loose and remove them. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I made it worse and end up not being able to "save the carb". Today, on a whim, I tried my Harbor Freight cheapo electric heat gun for about two minutes on a number of air jets, air/fuel mixture screws and two very stubborn pilot jets with messed up slot heads. Much to my surprise everyone one of them came out with very little trouble after applying heat from the heat gun. So ... next time your trying to get a jet/screw out ... try the heat gun ... worked like a hot damn for me!
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

It sounds like a great precaution before even trying with the screwdriver on any carb. I'll have to try that!

Comment

My pilots came right out but 2/4 would not go back in and seat. I shoulda tried my heat gun. I got a M6X0.5 bottom tap but after days of PBBlast and antisieze I finally got them. I have the tap and offer it up to any one that wants to use it.......
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Huh! Had to try this yesterday and it definitely helped...it softened the nasty black glue that was holding the main jet solidly in and I was able to start it out with a wood dowel. (the long main just slides into the bore on these cv carbs) Anything that trends away from the BIG Hammer + steel punch is a good-thing! I do have a really good heat gun though- a torch instead?-well, that'd want caution
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-13-2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Haha must be nice, today Blogs pilot jet head broke off after getting it to turn slightly. I've been trying to carefully step drill it in hopes the threads would break loose. I'm at the max of 5/32 and the threads aren't budging. gonna try to fit another easy out and see if it'll move. Any other tricks before I get prepared to buy a set on ebay?!

1981 GS650
          - Doug

Comment

I had my GS750ES parked for a few year. Float bowls drained, I should have filled them with mineral oil. When I took the carbs off, the Jet heads had fall off from corrosion. A small flat head screw driver, and the threaded portions came right out I lucked out of that.

You could drive a slightly larger drill, the tap in a small flat head screw driver. The tapping sometimes loosens the thread and then the Jet unscrews.
            Last edited by Suzukian; 03-22-2023, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doog_fresh View Post
              Haha must be nice, today Blogs pilot jet head broke off after getting it to turn slightly. I've been trying to carefully step drill it in hopes the threads would break loose. I'm at the max of 5/32 and the threads aren't budging. gonna try to fit another easy out and see if it'll move. Any other tricks before I get prepared to buy a set on ebay?!

1981 GS650
              - Doug
              Use some penetrating lube, and soak the stuck pilot. Some heat too. When drilling out screws and such, LH drill bits are best, because the nub will spin out when the screw becomes a shell.

Some guys try jamming a torx bit into the old jet, and spinning out the nub that way. An EZ Out can work, but you must be very careful because a LOT of guys break them off, which compounds the problem.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nessism I tried most of the tricks and it wouldn't budge, once the head broke off it kept coming out in pieces. I can no longer tell the difference between the threads / leftover brass still in them. I'll order another one and hold onto this for a rainy day or someone can still save it

Comment

Nice tip. I will have to try that next time.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                  X