Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100E OEM Petcock broke internally - expensive junk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E OEM Petcock broke internally - expensive junk!

I bought a petcock for my GS1100E from Partzilla in 2020 - OEM PN 44300-49572, cost about $110, from memory. It worked for a while but stopped delivering fuel on prime without vacuum. I really need that feature as I sometimes won't ride for a couple months and run the float bowl dry. I rigged a T fitting onto the vacuum hose so I could use a MityVac to get some fuel in the bowl but that irked me given I'd paid top $. I have acquired a good original spare that seems to be OK, bench testing only so far, so I decided to open the Partzilla one up.

See the pic - I think the bottom right metal parts should be one piece based on a break area I can see. It slots into the white plastic part.

I can't understand what would cause that to break, it's a simple device that has three positions, no need to ham fist it or anything.

I'm past the return timeframe, which seems always the case, so now I am mostly curious. Well if anyone had such a metal piece from an old one I wouldn't mind repairing this one. Seems a shame. Any insight appreciated.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Yes, that was originally one piece! It's broken!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
      Yes, that was originally one piece! It's broken!
      Yeah makes sense to me by looking at it, just can't figure out how that would happen. I guess I don't get no respect....
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Tom, you did read the instructions before operating that thing, didn't you??
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Tom, you did read the instructions before operating that thing, didn't you??
          When all else fails, read the instructions.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

When all else fails, read the instructions.
            Alright alright Rob, stop piling on!

I'm going through the Mr. Turbo in preparation to sell. A sad time but all good things come to an end. For me, multiple good things, but hey if the Libyans couldn't shoot me down in '85 that means I'm a survivor! No idea what I should ask, I suppose an auction may be appropriate for such a bike.

There were only two things wrong with the bike, now I've got one solved. The other is the gear position/neutral indicator. I put it together without the little contact pin, it musta fell out while I was drinking, err thinking of other things, yeah, that's it.

So for a measly $1.72 plus shipping I should have a gear position/neutral function working in that space age cockpit.
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-04-2022, 01:11 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Oh, no! Say it ain't so.

Perhaps you could soothe (or distract) us with some pics of the Norton.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                Oh, no! Say it ain't so.

Perhaps you could soothe (or distract) us with some pics of the Norton.
                Yeah that thread doesn't pop up in the main 'what's new' or even under my own profile's list of recent posts, oddly..

I got a new slotted front disc rotor but it's interfering with the stock caliper. It's supposed to be a direct replacement for the part number I have. Why me Lord....

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Its broken but looks exactly like the one in my 550.
                  so get a cheap used ebay unit
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

pm me with an address and I'll send you that bit. Diameter Dimensions will help confirm, but they all seem to be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      pm me with an address and I'll send you that bit. Diameter Dimensions will help confirm, but they all seem to be the same.
                      Thanks, sent PM.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                      X