Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choke Modification back to plunger style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Modification back to plunger style?

Suzuki "improved" the choke assembly on the 82 GS650s by moving the choke lever from the steering head to the leftside hand controls. I'm planning on wiring up aftermarket hand controls (already purchased), but completely overlooked the fact that now I dont have anything to attach the choke cable to. Is there some sort of modification/conversion kit that would allow me to use a typical choke lever?

Im used to EFI's so this is a new venture but I'm slowly piecing it all together.

GS650's come with CV Mikuni BS32 carbs.
    Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

I don't remember any GS models with CV carbs & choke on carbs, dang it I hate the cables. Some of the Kawasaki's had these same carbs, but with the choke lever on the carbs. "83" KZ 1000 J, KZ 1000 Eddy Lawson, & KZ550, and maybe others. Don't know if any were 32's or not... I've never had a problem with the choke on the carbs, but several problems with the cable operated... Good luck.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
      Suzuki "improved" the choke assembly on the 82 GS650s by moving the choke lever from the steering head to the leftside hand controls. I'm planning on wiring up aftermarket hand controls (already purchased), but completely overlooked the fact that now I dont have anything to attach the choke cable to. Is there some sort of modification/conversion kit that would allow me to use a typical choke lever?

Im used to EFI's so this is a new venture but I'm slowly piecing it all together.

GS650's come with CV Mikuni BS32 carbs.
      You can weld a bung to the top steering nut and fit a manual pull choke, so that it's just like the original.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Alright…tell me if this is a dumb idea. I live in Texas so cold weather isn’t really an issue. Since the GS has both a prime function and a choke, could I try to bypass the choke all together?
        Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
        Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

Comment

NO, Oh, I see post must have 15 characters, NONONONO
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            NO, Oh, I see post must have 15 characters, NONONONO
            Agreed. As hot as Texas (or anyplace) is, the engine is considered cold if it hasn't been running for an hour or so.

And as Cycle World pointed out in 1982, Suzukis need more choke fiddling on startup than many other bikes.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              And as Cycle World pointed out in 1982, Suzukis need more choke fiddling on startup than many other bikes.
              And that is only because they had been leaned out to meet EPA regulations. I think it was Motorcyclist magazine that found if you simply turned the pilot screws out about 1/2 turn and reversed the metal and plastic washers on the needle, the bike started easier, got off the "choke" quicker and got better fuel economy.

Comment

I up-ed the size of the pilot jets & helped initial start-up, but still required choke on initial start. I did also shim the needles a little, but never noticed any change initial start-up,

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

You can weld a bung to the top steering nut and fit a manual pull choke, so that it's just like the original.
                  Yeah. Something like this..after all, you only have to hold the housing in place.You could even lash it with wire or string to something...(Boy Scout knots! sailors knots!) Once done, just put something knobbish on the cable. You MIGHT want to put a spring on the carb to make it reliably pull back to ChokeOff.. I'm sure you'll find a solution to whatever arises that doesn't suit you

I don't remember any GS models with CV carbs & choke on carbs
                  oh yes, my GS400 twins (CV carbs) have them-. a Knob that pulls across the carbs lifting the enrichers.... I think some other twins have a lever there instead but I'm not sure which
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-04-2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I've drilled a small hole, in the little flat piece, on the left end of the choke rod thing, small screw from inside to mount any old knob, to pull choke rod out...Big problem is to hold it out while starting. I shouldn't say it, but if you by-pass the clutch switch it works really well...Be careful !!!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      I've drilled a small hole, in the little flat piece, on the left end of the choke rod thing, small screw from inside to mount any old knob, to pull choke rod out...Big problem is to hold it out while starting. I shouldn't say it, but if you by-pass the clutch switch it works really well...Be careful !!!
                      an elastic band or strip of inner tube wrapped a couple of times around the steel cable and housing at end might provide the friction. Or... lightly squashing a ferrule,or two flat bits with a screw clamping them controlling "friction squash", or...

Comment

I swear I'm going to fix my choke handle situation someday..... but as rphillips said, I've done similar, but i have a small loop of string tied around the end of the rod. Pull and hold while cranking the bike. My clutch safety was bypassed ages ago, no no issue there.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Dang Dork, a dangling string?? not a string!!! You can do better than that, a wire tie maybe but not a string, that sounds way too red neck for NJ... But guess it works.

Comment

Ha, don't let our Mid Atlantic location fool you... we definitely have some `necks here. Its just a short loop with a soft keyfob attached to make it easy to grab.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glad you got something working... Wish Suzuki hadn't have screwed it up to begin with... Like said never heard of a choke problem when knob, or lever, was on carbs.... Really liked how Mikuni did it for the Kawa's.

Comment

Working...
                              X