79 GS850 exhaust sputter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 exhaust sputter

I’m having a bit of a head scratcher here, new to the motorcycle world so I’m still learning. No mechanic experience. Bought the bike with a full tank of gas that the previous owner had filled it with and it ran smooth as whiskey, went to refuel it a couple of weeks later with mid grade pure non ethanol fuel. Started the bike back up and now the exhausts sputter every time I choke the start. Once the bike is running without the choke the exhaust sputter stops. What’s the issue here? Appreciate advice!

Originally posted by Nash79GS850 View Post
    I’m having a bit of a head scratcher here, new to the motorcycle world so I’m still learning. No mechanic experience. Bought the bike with a full tank of gas that the previous owner had filled it with and it ran smooth as whiskey, went to refuel it a couple of weeks later with mid grade pure non ethanol fuel. Started the bike back up and now the exhausts sputter every time I choke the start. Once the bike is running without the choke the exhaust sputter stops. What’s the issue here? Appreciate advice!
    Once the bike is fully warmed it runs and sounds proper? I don't think there's any issue at all. Stay safe and welcome to the brotherhood.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Sounds like you were restarting a already warm engine? Shouldn’t need choke at all in that condition. If you did apply choke when starting a warm bike, sputtering (or flooding) is what you would expect. Keep on keepin’ on.

If I run my bike every day, never need choke to start. If I let it sit a few days, I might need half choke to start.

Good on you for the non-ethanol fuel. Good for the carbs.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-23-2022, 07:56 AM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
      X