Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to me '79 GS550, what carb options do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me '79 GS550, what carb options do I have?

Hey everyone, new to the forum. This bike is all stock and is actually in very good condition. I bought it from a guy who "tried to make it run" but this was his first rodeo and he made some mistakes. The one that's relevant here is that he had cranked down the fuel screws at the bottom of the carbs (accessible outside of the float bowls) and had broken the tips of the needles off into the carb on two of them. He obviously had the carbs apart because the fuel screw springs were missing, and I ended up finding them under the long jets (not sure what you call them) that you can remove after removing the pilot jets.

I have no idea how I'm going to get those pieces out, I honestly don't think it's possible. I tried compressed air, was thinking about running a very long very thin drill bit down there but I think it's a lost cause. I am not familiar with these carbs, there being a fuel screw AND air/pilot mix screw, but I assume with those fuel ports clogged for good this thing will never run right. So do I find 2 used carbs or would this be a good opportunity to "upgrade" them to a newer model year's carbs? What are the consideration there? Anyone got two of the VM22SS carbs around?

The only other major issue is an oil leak which I believe is coming from the clutch push rod seal under the sprocket cover. There is a plate on top of it, are these pretty straight forward to replace?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Gsarchive.bwringer.com
    there's a tutorial there for removing the pilot fuel tips, as well as cleaning the VM carbs and most everything else you need to know.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Gsarchive.bwringer.com
      there's a tutorial there for removing the pilot fuel tips, as well as cleaning the VM carbs and most everything else you need to know.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys. I actually used a 90 degree pick that I ground thinner and forced them out that way, but on one I broke the tip off my pick. Had to use a straight pick from the screw side to get it out. Really happy about getting them out and I ordered rebuild kits with new screws. So now a few of the holes are too wide. The screws are apparently set from the factory so not sure what the setting should be, but I assume I should be setting them to less than that because the bores are bigger. I will look at the resources to see if there's a goos starting place for the screw setting, but do you think I should go something like 25% more closed than that to compensate for the damaged holes?

Comment

Nice that you got them out, but for others that might read this thread later, here is another method I have used:

First, determine whether the point of the screw is sticking out in the bore. If it's not, the pointed awl shown in the above attachment will work well. If the point IS showing, use a larger (#3?) Phillips screwdriver. Place it into the bore of the carb, roll the metal shaft over the tip of the screw, it will probably push it out.
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Where can I find intake boots for this bike? All I can find is for 1980+, the only '79 set I could find is at cruzinimage.net which could be legit but it's hard to tell. Says it's a Japanese based international company and it won't give any information about where it's shipping from, if it's in stock, what shipper they use, etc.

Comment

I've had great experiences with Cruzinimage. Fast shipping, good products.
              Why are you using rebuild kits? Did you read the VM rebuild tutorial?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ok thanks, I guess I'll trust them and put the order in.

Not sure what you mean by why I'm using the rebuild kits, the T connector for the fuel inlet is leaking so I need to take the carb assembly apart. I needed new fuel screws because of the situation above, and will at a minimum need new float bowl and top gaskets for the clean and rebuild, so I just got a kit for each carb. Maybe I didn't get your question?

Comment

Again, did you read the VM carb tutorial?
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Again, did you read the VM carb tutorial?
                    I took a look at it this morning. I'm going to stake a stab at it and guess you also read the VM carb tutorial?

Comment

How much larger did the pinhole become? When my original carb was trashed due to excessive critter damage, I tried to use a carb with enlarged hole (see pic) and it never worked correctly, even with the mixture screw all the way in. I also had terrible mileage, a dark spark plug, and gassy smell, so I assume it was just letting way too much fuel through. A replacement carb is on the way.
                      PXL_20211219_131326268.jpg
                      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                        How much larger did the pinhole become? When my original carb was trashed due to excessive critter damage, I tried to use a carb with enlarged hole (see pic) and it never worked correctly, even with the mixture screw all the way in. I also had terrible mileage, a dark spark plug, and gassy smell, so I assume it was just letting way too much fuel through. A replacement carb is on the way.
                        PXL_20211219_131326268.jpg
                        Yeah, a few of them have blown out holes, 3 of the 4 show the fuel screw tips protruding quite a bit when screwed all the way in. Currently have them at 2 turns out each and the bike was idling and revving pretty nicely. Then I started getting spark issues so I'll need to get that sorted before evaluating the carb situation. Where did you get your new carb?

Comment

Originally posted by woodsracer View Post

Yeah, a few of them have blown out holes, 3 of the 4 show the fuel screw tips protruding quite a bit when screwed all the way in. Currently have them at 2 turns out each and the bike was idling and revving pretty nicely. Then I started getting spark issues so I'll need to get that sorted before evaluating the carb situation. Where did you get your new carb?
                          I got my replacement carb from someone on the FB GS550 group. I don't think he's on this board but msg me and I'll try to hook you guys up

Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

You could spend a grand or more on flat slide carbs. :Realistically though, these carbs on EBAY may fit your bike.

Link = https://www.ebay.com/itm/14478267894...temCondition=4

Comment

Working...
                            X