Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had their carb bowls go dry at WOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Now I figured it out, what you call float bowls, I call floats. To me the the float bowl is the bowl the float resides in. I set the float height to regulate the fuel level in the float bowl... Funny how terminology is different in different parts of the country... Also hard for me to imagine how more fuel could be sucked out of the float bowl, through that "tiny hole" in the main jet, faster than fuel can run in through the needle valve that has a waaay bigger opening, unless the needle isn't opening properly or some kind of obstruction up stream of the needle valve.
    I've never heard of the "float" (as its normally listed on a parts schematic) being called a "float bowl" before. Guess I've learned something today! Now on to the forget it part!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Nope, can't let that go by, I messed up. I meant to write "float in the float bowl". A leaky float will sink and let in too much gas. A float set too low will not allow the float bowl to fill up the float bowl completely and not fill the reservoir you need for those WOT moments. I apologize for not catching the mistake I posted. The way I worded it made no sense. Floats will sag because the tang does bend after a while on some carbs, mostly on older bikes. Bouncing and gravity takes it toll,and then it floats up too high, shutting the needle valve with the float bowls not being full. Hope that clears it up what I was trying to post. .

Comment

Working...
      X