1981 GS850gl with Murray's Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850gl with Murray's Carbs

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has installed Murray's carbs on their machines and what kind of performance have they've experienced. Also, I noticed the manifold for these carbs are angled (pointing in/out, depends on how they're installed) and if the is a right or wrong way to install.
    sigpicA distinguished Gentleman's ride

1981 Suzuki GS850gl, Café Racer!

Built, not Bought!

Makes sense to contact Murray for install instructions.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

$700 + tax + shipping is a big pill to swallow. I don't see the point unless you equate the uniqueness factor as a massive plus.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes! it is expensive however my original carbs had strip jets I couldn't get out, broken float post, torn diaphragms. I scoured the internet looking to purchase a replacement but had no luck. I'm in NYC so there wont be any "barn finds" around here. So, I sprung for the Murray's carbs. They fit and feel great! I was just wondering about the direction they should point

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Originally posted by Peteortiz11 View Post
          I'm in NYC...
          Frank Davis at Powerhouse Motorcycles in West Babylon has a dynomometer and all the Jap inline four experience you'll ever need. Just saying...Once I found him, I never let anyone else touch my 11EZ.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            $700 + tax + shipping is a big pill to swallow. I don't see the point unless you equate the uniqueness factor as a massive plus.
            There is a lot to be said for "uniqueness factor", but there also has to be some other redeeming property to it. Being unique, for the sake of being unique sounds a lot like the LGBTQIAWHATEVERTF mentality
            Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
            Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has installed Murray's carbs on their machines and what kind of performance have they've experienced. Also, I noticed the manifold for these carbs are angled (pointing in/out, depends on how they're installed) and if the is a right or wrong way to install.
              Interesting. The carb set up is a compromise and most likely UJMs in the day went for top end. I haven't done anything like that but a member here, Grimly, just up the road has. Last I saw he had a single carb on one of his 850s. He might have some insights.
              Most of the pictures on the Murray site show the inlets angled back towards the centerline of the bike. Maybe pods work better in dead air and it's just to keep them away from fast moving air on the outside. I notice the set back from the head is significantly greater than stock. There is a lot going on and perhaps they have found some kind of sweet spot given that most of these bikes are not driven flat out anymore? Maybe by angling the manifold you get better resonance behaviour given the different path lengths?
              On the other hand if you are coming from worn out, unfixable carbs then anything would be an improvement
              Last edited by Brendan W; 05-26-2023, 05:03 AM.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post

Interesting. The carb set up is a compromise and most likely UJMs in the day went for top end. I haven't done anything like that but a member here, Grimly, just up the road has. Last I saw he had a single carb on one of his 850s. He might have some insights.
                Trial and error, but starting from a point where it was likely to work, 30 years ago. It's still a work in progress, but the bike has always been in a rideable state, no matter what I was doing to the jetting. The second last major improvement a few years ago was going down to a 38mm carb from a 44mm and keeping the gas speed up through the venturi. After that, it was more messing around with jetting, but when I fitted an MGB inlet throat and a K&N large cone filter, it woke up, and got most of its mid-range back, seat of the pants dyno says it's just about as quick as it used to be.
                However, and this applies to any carb set-up, no big single carb or twins will flow as much at the top end as four singles.
                I've still to Vizardise the 38 and it will help it to get to (indicated) 115mph, which the 44mm would do. Given that the OEM top speed is approx 125mph, that's still a bit of a short-fall.
                I'm not bothered by that, though.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

So I got these carbs set up, angled inward and wow! bike runs amazing! even sounds different. throaty. definitely worth it. Thanks all!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Can you do a follow-up after a month or so of riding.
                    Curious as to the seat of the pants performance and mileage.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

So I got these carbs set up, angled inward and wow! bike runs amazing! even sounds different. throaty. definitely worth it. Thanks all!
                      Any chance of a picture or two and how are the throttle and choke cable(s) set up?
                      How is the fuel feed organised?
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                      X