No announcement yet.

Bad gas story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer. In this case, yes, made by Suzuki. It’s nearly impossible to know when you order online from one of many sellers of OEM stuff whether the item has been manufactured recently or if it’s NOS= New/Old Stock. My guess, because these are 40+ year old bikes, Is that most OEM items you find, whether from a dealer or eBay/other is NOS. But I’ve bought OEM gaskets from places like Partshark.com, babittsonline.com, the now defunct bikebandit, and ebay, and I have never gotten one that wasn’t in perfect condition. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen. I’m not sure what reputable websites ship to Quebec. Maybe another Canadien will chime in.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Just wanted to let everybody know that since I adjusted the valves and made a solid connection on the ignition coils my bike ran fine 99% of the time, hot or cold.

Went on a 500 miles trip with heavy hills and only had a couple issues.

First issue I was towards the end of a long ascent and the clutch started to slip for a moment. Motor did rev up from 5000 to 7500 rpm in a moment and I felt the lack of propulsion. Problem did clear by itself after I downshifted. I guess I should check for clutch adjustment only and not plates or springs yet?

Second issue, still in a big ascent at high rpm, the bike rpm suddenly slowed / bogged and that felt as if it was gas starved... I'm not sure I should check for what in what order? carb / vacuum or petcock?

I'm interested in sourcing ethanol resistant orings for the carb and petcock, where to get that in 2023?
      1983 GS400E - Canada specific
      Noobie mechanic with some determination

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post
        Just wanted to let everybody know that since I adjusted the valves and made a solid connection on the ignition coils my bike ran fine 99% of the time, hot or cold.

Went on a 500 miles trip with heavy hills and only had a couple issues.

First issue I was towards the end of a long ascent and the clutch started to slip for a moment. Motor did rev up from 5000 to 7500 rpm in a moment and I felt the lack of propulsion. Problem did clear by itself after I downshifted. I guess I should check for clutch adjustment only and not plates or springs yet?

Second issue, still in a big ascent at high rpm, the bike rpm suddenly slowed / bogged and that felt as if it was gas starved... I'm not sure I should check for what in what order? carb / vacuum or petcock?

I'm interested in sourcing ethanol resistant orings for the carb and petcock, where to get that in 2023?
        I'd check the clutch cable for proper adjustment first since that's easy. Are you using the correct oil? The wrong oil will cause the clutch to slip.

As for the bogging issue, you said it happend while climbing a hill at high rpm. Between the steep incline cause fuel sit at a different angle in the bowl in relation to the jets and high rpm high load for an extended period of time, maybe you drained the bowls faster than the gravity feed could replenish the fuel.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
        X