Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel level sending unit "vent hose" routing question

Hello everyone,

I am working on my 1985 GS450GA and I am wondering where to route the hose that comes out of the fuel sending unit. I cannot for the life of me remember if it just vents to air or if its meant for a specific carb hookup. Image of the offending barb attached directly. In checking the diagram I can see it is labeled vent hose, but it is not labeled if it is direct or recaptured in some way like the crankcase breather. trying to make my first motorcycle as close to OEM as 1985 will let me.
    Attached Files

Peep the fire extinguisher in the background. I'm 26 years old, don't make excuses, buy one.

Comment

If I remember correctly it goes to the fuel petcock. I just recently took the cover off my sending unit and that's where that hose went on my cover.
      Ken
      New to the Land of 2 Wheels
      1979 GS750E

Need short lengths of solid or striped wire for an affordable price? Check out https://4rcustomswire.com/

Comment

All the bikes I've ever seen, that hose is vented to air. It is to let any fuel from a leaking sending unit drain. Of couse, I haven't seen everything, yet!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by OkamiS View Post
          If I remember correctly it goes to the fuel petcock. I just recently took the cover off my sending unit and that's where that hose went on my cover.
          someone hooked that up wrong, let me guess now your bike only runs on PRI ?
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by OkamiS View Post
            No. No. No. No. No. !!!!

The line that comes off the fuel sending unit is NOT a vent. It does NOT go to the petcock. It is a drain tube. A drain tube that will remain dry for its entire life until and only until/if the gasket sealing the sending unit to the fuel tank leaks. It should be routed over the carbs and down behind the engine, off the the right side where there is typically a chase for drain tubes to run out to the ground, so as not to be exactly in front of the rear tire. Some other drain tubes may also be routed there: tube carrying expended crankcase oil vapor and over-oiled air filters from the airbox; and drain tube from non-sealed lead-acid batteries.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-20-2023, 12:19 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

someone hooked that up wrong, let me guess now your bike only runs on PRI ?
              LOL!

Edit: Rich's post came in while I was typing, and explains all...

The sending unit cover is a funnel, to catch any fuel that may leak past the sending unit seal. The hose attached to the nipple needs to route to the ground, away from the rear wheel, please.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Holy S*** I hopped on a game of fallout 3 thinking there's no way Ill get a response with so few people online. You guys are the best. Thank you for the explanations

Comment

Well, you are 26. And we’re, um….not.

Welcome to the forum.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome Hoovy, just say'in you're not the first to wonder about that hose... Though I don't remember anybody with a "REPAIR MANUAL" asking about it. I not selling repair manuals, just letting you know they sure are handy to have around.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The metal bit on the tank is like a cup, any leak would spill there and then drain through that hose…
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

No. No. No. No. No. !!!!

The line that comes off the fuel sending unit is NOT a vent. It does NOT go to the petcock. It is a drain tube. A drain tube that will remain dry for its entire life until and only until/if the gasket sealing the sending unit to the fuel tank leaks. It should be routed over the carbs and down behind the engine, off the the right side where there is typically a chase for drain tubes to run out to the ground, so as not to be exactly in front of the rear tire. Some other drain tubes may also be routed there: tube carrying expended crankcase oil vapor and over-oiled air filters from the airbox; and drain tube from non-sealed lead-acid batteries.
                        Well that might explain a few things! I'm glad I did decide to comment on this thread. That is probably the reason the previous owner said the gas tank was leaking. ROFL I can only imagine fuel shooting up that hose to the fuel sending unit cover and running out the top and down the inside of the tank. They said the tank had a leak, but when I examined it, I didn't find any possible spots it would leak from. If anyone could point me in the right direction on how this hose should be routed, I'd greatly appreciate it!
                        Ken
                        New to the Land of 2 Wheels
                        1979 GS750E

Need short lengths of solid or striped wire for an affordable price? Check out https://4rcustomswire.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          Welcome Hoovy, just say'in you're not the first to wonder about that hose... Though I don't remember anybody with a "REPAIR MANUAL" asking about it. I not selling repair manuals, just letting you know they sure are handy to have around.
                          parts diagrams be like " hose-vent" and refuse to explain further

Comment

Ken, it's not real critical as long as it drains under the bike preferably with no swags that can hold any gas that will probably never leak anyway. Usually along the along the frame to near the air box then sideways to a frame down tube to under the bile, hopefully not straight in front of the rear tire... Many times I've thought the parts diagrams could use better wording. For me this is a drain hose, just something we got to deal with. Glad it's figured out, that's the main thing.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                            X