Yamaha XS650 also used Mikuni BS34s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha XS650 also used Mikuni BS34s?

I was curious if I can use parts from 1980 Yamaha XS650s because they also used twin Mikuni BS34s and for some reason I am having no trouble finding float bowl gaskets, diaphragms, etc. I am sure the jetting is different but I don't need new metal parts to rebuild mine just the parts that won't stand up to a carb dip or carb cleaner. I have a 1980 GS450L..
    Might be a stupid question but figured its worth a shot after the days I've spent looking for rebuild parts and even a fuel filter for my stock petcock which I also struck out on. I would prefer to keep her stock because she's been nothing but bulletproof with OEM parts and money is tight as I am disabled until I can go back to work after my 3 hernia's are taken care of next month. Thanks I also heard some parts from GS1100s are interchangeable with my bike?

If you haven't already searched this board then all you truly need is a set of o-rings to properly clean up the carbs. On mine the float bowl gaskets where some sort of a polymer and plenty reusable so I didn't need to chase those down. As to diaphragms those can be found at the JBM Industries website, for some reason I can't access it right now to link it but they have a good reputation.

As to swapping parts with another model it doesn't sound like it works based on a couple of different threads I've read on here. Again, if the internal hardware is still good, just replace the rubber bits and you're good to go!

A quick check on eBay shows plenty of carb kits and diaphragms available, just use the gaskets and o-rings then toss the rest of the parts.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks I took them both apart and weren’t that dirty inside going to replace
      rhe rubbers but I scratched the the needle jet pulling it out. Will that affect performance should I replace it or just stick to the o ring on it. None of the holes
      got messed up and one last question before I search the threads do I have to resync them every time I rebuild/clean them or not necessary unless bike starts running foul? Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Finesse150 View Post
        one last question before I search the threads do I have to resync them every time I rebuild/clean them or not necessary unless bike starts running foul? Thanks again
        Any time the carbs are interfered with you re-sync them.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
        X