Carb question for 1985 Suzuki GS 450 L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb question for 1985 Suzuki GS 450 L

I'm curious about this bolt on the picture. I tought it was for letting the fuel out from the carbs. When I losen it nothing happend. I tried to tighten it back but for some reason I can't. I mean it is thight but not as it was before. The second question is can I start the bike with start spray? The last time I started it was 2 months ago. When I tried this morning it cranked but won't start.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Nothing happened when you loosened the bolt because your bowls were dry after sitting for too long. Turn petcock to PRIME for 30 seconds or so, then back to ON of RESERVE. May need some choke. Try again.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yep, that's what PRI is for... Wondering about.. "tight but not as tight as before" that bolt is a plug with a gasket, must be tight enough not to leak fuel.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I also tried with a start spray. The bike run for 5 seconds and stall. Maybe gummed up carbs? By the way what is a PRI that you mentioned?

Comment

Petcocks used to be ON/OFF/RESERVE. Now most are ON/PRIME/RESERVE. Prime is used to fill up float bowls after it has been sitting.

Sounds like your carbs could use a good cleaning.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Lay off the easy start spray, too. It wrecks engines.
            If you must use something like that, just a puff of propane or butane from an aerosol can will do the job.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you're going to clean your carbs...

...I can highly recommend the GS Archives version of BikeCliff's Website​ --> Here

It's a treasure trove of valuable information =)

Comment

Thank you very much Sam!

Comment

It's likely that the fuel in your carbs has dried out while parked. Fuel that dries out leaves a nasty residue, clogging the carbs, hence making the bike unwilling to run.

Clean them, and next time you'll park the bike for a longer time, either put in some stabilizer and/or drain the carbs.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Before I do something stupid, what is the easiest way to pull the carbs out? I'm not sure if I need to remove the airbox to make more space for pulling the carbs, or is it possible to remove them without touching the airbox? carbs.jpg

Comment

You won't need to remove the air box but you do need to take out the mounting bolts so the air box can slip as far as possible toward the rear of the bike.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to do it exactly like you said.

Comment

Working...
                        X