Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

take off and rebuild the carb (gs550 mfj:81)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

take off and rebuild the carb (gs550 mfj:81)

hi, i wonder if there's a trick or handling to get the carbs easy off the motor. due lack of space it's quite a job to get them off and the same story to install them again

thanks for any inputs

Welcome to the forum.

On most models, it's a matter of loosing all boot clamps in front of and behind the carbs, removing the air filter box, unbolting the forward air box (the one directly behind the carbs) from the frame and moving that box rearward as far as possible, pulling the rear boots off the intake side of the carbs. Undo throttle and choke connections on the carb rack. Some spray lubricant on the boots and/ or some gentle heat from a heat gun can help soften the boots. Twist and shout. Pull the carb bank out the right side of the frame. Then go nurse your bloody knuckles. Have yourself a Duvel, or 2, depending on how bloody your knuckles are.

Reinstall in reverse order.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hi Rich, Thanks for your response
      In other words there's no easy way to remove them...
      Connecting the airbox back in particular is very difficult, especially to get all four carbs sufficiently deep into the connections.
      anyway, as there seems to be no easy way we will do it the hard way
      BTW: i like trappist more than duvel, but that only a minor thing. It's the nursing that counts

image.png
      best regards
      Ronny​

Comment

I’ll have to look to Trappist. Never seen it here.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
        X