1981 GS750L - Replacement Tank Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750L - Replacement Tank Options

Hi folks. Well, I knew the tank on this project bike was going to need some work but unfortunately it seems beyond saving. I did my best to read through gas tank threads on here, but I'd like to get some confirmation.
    1. What years/models of GS750 tank will work? Seems to me that 80-81 GS750L tanks are the only direct fits, but if other variants or years will fit with some extra work, please let me know.
    2. Are there other tanks in the GS line that fit/can be made to fit? The 80-81 GS850GL tank seems like it's extremely close to the tank for my GS750L, at least according to parts diagrams. I know the GS850G tank is different/bigger.
    And if anyone has a tank I would certainly be interested in hearing about it...

On Ebay currently I see two potentially good options
    A) 1981 GS750L tank. Should be an exact match, but it has a dent, there aren't any pictures of the inside (no key), and its $285 plus shipping... Seems like a gamble.
    B) 1980 GS850GL tank. Has one picture of the inside, seems pretty clean. Asked for a picture of the underside. $200 plus shipping, ~$100 cheaper total.

Thanks!
    Last edited by hacka; 03-07-2024, 12:51 AM.

Ok, further digging seems to show that only a 1980 or 1981 GS750L tank will work, quite limited. I got myself confused with the model names for a while there, i.e. LT and LX are different years of the same model. Babbitts had LT and LX tanks listed separately under 1981.

If I could actually see the inside of the tank of the one on Ebay I might just bite the bullet, but it seems expensive for a "maybe". Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
    X