Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock fuel drip

Installed after market petcock.
    tank is off bike set in "normal" flow riding position.
    After about 6 hours I get maybe a teaspoon or less of gas from drip into container.
    full flow on prime.
    Will this become a issue when bike is idel for a extended period of time.
    I still have the original GS550E one which is functional. Changed out due to age.

Probably nothing to worry about (not my garage catching fire, eh?) but I repaired a GS1100 petcock with a kit from here and it doesnt leak a drop https://www.motorcyclespareswarehous...ock-repair-kit

Comment

Just curious, when we speak of a leaking petcock "main fuel line" not breather, is this normal also on OEM part, to show very slight drip or say minor seepage/wetness when in the normal ride position.
      I am tempted to replace the originaor "78" one to verify, which showed no issues.
      ​​​​​​My main concern is while the bike sits over winter for several months with possible backflow into carburator.

Comment

Not normal in my experience.
        1986 1150EF
        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

My opinion, no not acceptable. A small drip can put way too much fuel into the crankcase over time, especially a winter nap. Ask me how I know... Also "tempted to replace the orig. "78" which showed no issues"? Wondering if you've heard old adage, If it ain't broke don't fix it?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Petcocks are definitely a problem - but I must agree with rphillips and Big Block - ANY leak of ANY fuel is neither normal nor acceptable. Leaks virtually never get smaller, they always grow and having gasoline spilling in your garage is always a bad thing.

I contributed a post to another thread on petcock leaks just the other day and pointed out that a gasket goo called Hylomar Blue works really well in sealing petcocks. It is readily available online, it is not expensive and it works. A small tube (cost ~ $17.00 USD on Amazon) would be a lifetime supply.

image.png​

The same goes for engine coolant and brake fluid - NO leaks are the normal and correct condition and any leaks, regardless of how minor, are not acceptable.

Now, because I ride with a lot of guys who ride British motorcycles, these rules do not apply to engine oil.....
            Last edited by MaxPete; 03-14-2024, 11:13 AM.
            The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hurlburt View Post
              Installed after market petcock.
              tank is off bike set in "normal" flow riding position.
              After about 6 hours I get maybe a teaspoon or less of gas from drip into container.
              full flow on prime.
              Will this become a issue when bike is idel for a extended period of time.
              I still have the original GS550E one which is functional. Changed out due to age.
              I'm still using my original 78 petcock
              I've replaced the two "rubber" parts, the disc and the O rings a few times, as well as the tank/petcock gasket
              As long as the vacuum part still works, there's no reason to replace this style of petcock for a street GS
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you all!
                I agree if the OEM is functional & I never experienced a problem may just reinstall & not have to worry about it. As I work on this bike I'm amazed at the engineering thought & quality Suzuki put into it!

Comment

Update:
                  removed tank & left after market petcock on run position for about a week. Accumulated quite a bit of gas in container from hose fitting.
                  Installed old "78" petcock added fuel to tank & not a drip!
                  Only wanted to replace petcock due to age & some recomendations from this site.
                  It was fully functional with no issues.
                  My advice would be to stay far away from Chinese crap!
                  Try to find a used or new OEM petcock if possible & only if a problem exists with original

Comment

Prime example of the last sentence in post # 5. Glad you got it figured
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Indeed!

Forgot to mention I did swap out new rubber gasget & tank filter with after market. Filter seems slightly different but fit well. (Problem)?
                      original was clean but filter material showed some deterioration also replaced bolt washers with 1/4 inch nylon ones.

hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hurlburt View Post
                        Indeed!

Forgot to mention I did swap out new rubber gasget & tank filter with after market. Filter seems slightly different but fit well. (Problem)?
                        original was clean but filter material showed some deterioration also replaced bolt washers with 1/4 inch nylon ones.

hoping for the best.
                        The change of filter is good. My OEM petcock filter looked clean, but fuel varnish had clogged up the holes over the years so that I'd run out of fuel with a half-tank remaining. Caused a bit of head-scratching, that one.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                        X